This leadership position plays a key role in implementing Cobham Aviation Services’ (CAvS) aviation safety investigation and safety audit activities across Australia and, where applicable, Papua New Guinea. The role reports to the General Manager Safety and Security and has responsibility for a team of four direct reports.
The team is responsible for conducting aviation investigations and audits in order to identify and rectify aviation safety issues, ensuring alignment with the CAvS Safety Management System (SMS) and compliance with company policies, processes and procedures, as well as CASA regulations.
In particular, this role will have hands on responsibility for investigations.
Out of hours work and regular interstate travel can be expected as part of the role. International travel may also be required.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Hold, promote and demonstrate safety as a core value to the organisation and lead in driving the organisation toward its vision of Zero Harm and an incident/injury free environment through active support of and participation in all safety programmes
- Lead, monitor, train and support a team of safety professionals to achieve individual and team based outcomes
- Assume the role of safety Subject Matter Expert and advise business units on safety investigations
- Assign, oversee, review, manage and conduct investigations into aviation safety occurrences
- Develop and maintain the CAvS Audit Program and Annual Audit Schedule, ensuring audit activities are adequately resourced and compliant
- Set the standard of compliance for CAvS employees to comply with SMS processes and procedures by providing appropriate direction and resources and by monitoring safety activities and performance
- Conduct continuous improvement and development of aviation safety investigation and safety audit processes and procedures
- Provide information to Management in relation to summaries of findings, causal factor analysis, compliance to investigation/audit timeframes and other /investigation/audit related metrics and information
- Other duties as required
- Lead Investigator qualification in Safety Investigation
- Lead Auditor qualification in Quality Assurance or Safety Auditing or in a similar field
- Hold or be undertaking tertiary qualifications in Safety or Aviation Management
Experience and skills required
- Previous experience working within an operational aviation or aviation safety environment
- Significant experience in:
- aviation safety investigation
- quality and/or safety auditing
- Demonstrated understanding of Safety Management Systems and the CASA SMS Framework
- Experience in leadership and mentoring
- Proven experience in successfully managing the implementation of new processes and procedures
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal) to suit technical and non-technical audiences
- Relationship management capability across a diverse range of stakeholders
- Strong analytical, organisational and time management skills
- Assertive and proactive, demonstrating initiative
- High level of personal and professional integrity and confidentiality, enabling positive and professional working relationship with staff, key suppliers, service providers, external stakeholders
Cobham Aviation Services is Australia’s largest provider of contract aviation services, employing 1,300 people nationally. It forms part of Cobham Plc’s global operations across the US, Europe, Asia Pacific and Africa.
Cobham Plc is a leading global technology and services innovator, known and respected for delivering solutions to the most challenging problems from deep space to the depths of the ocean through advanced electronic solutions, outsourced aviation services, communications and connectivity and mission systems.
Cobham Special Mission provides aerial surveillance under contract to Australian Border Force and search and rescue services under contract to the Australian Maritime Safety Authority.
All applicants must be eligible to live and work in Australia.