Cobham is seeking a Chief Engineer that will identify and
lead technology initiatives and provide inputs into the technology roadmaps.
The role contributes to and oversees development of new technologies, products,
materials and / or processes and supports the activities necessary to complete
major projects using their subject matter expertise. The role leads engagements
with internal (across the Group) and external (research labs, universities,
suppliers and customers) partners in the identification of emerging
technologies and their application to differentiated, market leading, products.
The role also provides mentoring and coaching of staff, and sharing of
expertise to the broader technical community across the Group, including acting
as a Design Review Chair and participation on Technology Council working
groups. The role consults with and provides guidance across the Group on
advanced technical issues, supports business development initiatives including
customer engagements and bid and proposals.
The successful candidate will have the opportunity to work within the
Aircraft Systems Engineering team and a diverse line of Life Support and Aerial
Refueling products for defense and commercial aerospace. This position is
located in Davenport, Iowa.
- Lead requirements analysis, requirements definition,
requirements management, functional analysis, performance analysis, system
design, detail trade studies, systems integration and test (verification),
validation and interface definition studies of system, subsystem or system
elements with little or no supervision
- Lead customer requirements analysis, develops system
requirements and defines allocations to lower levels (subsystem, elements
- Leads and/or facilitates Functional Configuration
- Leads System Requirements Review; provide support for
Preliminary Design Reviews, Critical Design Reviews and Test Readiness
- Guide the successful completion of major programs and
- Recognize various architectural patterns, applies them
appropriately, understands strengths/weaknesses within those architectures
and develops architectural variations as necessary
- Ability to clearly report information relevant to sound
systems engineering design
- Understand and applies project leadership principles
including SPI/CPI, Earned Value, Cost Account Management (CAM), and
Statistical Process Controls
- Supports Integrated Product Teams in the inception,
design & execution of complex engineering projects over the full life
cycle of product development.
- Analyzes and documents multi-disciplinary requirements
including, but not limited to, mechanical, electro-mechanical, software,
safety and reliability.
- Conducts requirements quality audits and assessments.
- Participates in proposal development: parses statement
of work and requirements into standard work breakdown structures and
generates estimates for project requirements management function.
- Ensures the logical and systematic conversion of
customer or product requirements into total systems solutions. •
Application of deep domain knowledge to grow the business
- Continue to develop domain expertise
- Design Authority sign off as Chief Engineer (as needed
in some businesses)
- Propose and develop new technologies, materials and
processes to maintain and grow our technology differentiations
- Propose and develop new products
- Collaborate with customers on the development of
aligned roadmaps and product solutions
- Collaborate with external partners (for examples:
research labs, universities and suppliers) on the development of new and
emerging technologies and products
- Represent Cobham’s interests on external committees
(e.g., standards) • Create business winning technical proposals
- Contribute to the creation and implementation of technology
- Collaborate with peers from across the Group on
significant initiatives and opportunities for integrated solutions
- Participate on, and contribute to, the Technology
Council as required
- Provide support to the Sector BD & Technology Lead
- Mentor and coach the technical community
- ABET accredited BS Degree in an Engineering field.
- 15 years of experience in the aerospace industry.
- Demonstrated substantial technical expertise and domain
- Recognized Subject Matter Expert within at least one of
the Davenport product lines.
- Demonstrable and sustained contributions to design of
technology differentiated and market leading products and services
- This position requires access to technology, materials,
software or hardware that is controlled by export laws of the US. In order
to be eligible, you must be either a US Citizen or Permanent Resident
- ABET accredited MS Degree in an Engineering field.
- Experience leading / facilitating cross functional
- Strong communication and listening skills
- Articulate and comfortable engaging with a diverse set
of stakeholders (in person events and principal systems engineering level)
and tailoring a good message
- Strong demonstrated skills with MS Office skills,
particularly MS PowerPoint, MS Word, and MS Excel.
- Knowledge or experience in the development of nitrogen
or oxygen products for military applications.
For more information regarding the
Davenport facility and products manufactured there, please visit the below
Cobham's values of Trust, Talent and Technology have driven us from
our launch in 1934 by Sir Alan Cobham, an aviation innovator, to becoming a
global leader in state-of-the-art aerospace and defense systems. And it’s the
insights of our innovators today that will secure our collective future.
Innovators like you.
Cobham is one of the world's leading companies engaged in the
development, delivery and support of leading-edge aerospace and defense systems
in the air, on land and at sea. Our clients and partners trust Cobham to
deliver the mission-critical technology they need, and we trust our employees
to draw on their ingenuity and passion to deliver those solutions. This leads
to an empowering culture for our people. Our Leadership team is open, sharing
plans for the next five years, driving retention by offering demanding,
exciting work, and providing full guidance and mentoring.
Cobham is an Equal
Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and embraces diversity in our employee
population. It is the policy of Cobham to provide equal opportunity to
all qualified applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion,
sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability,
protected veteran status, or genetic information. Cobham will refrain from
discharging, or otherwise discriminating against, employees or applicants who
inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of
other employees or applicants.
To see all of our latest opportunities and for consideration please
Follow us on our LinkedIn page at www.linkedin.com/company/cobham