Cobham Mission Systems are looking for a Simulation & Modelling Engineer to work as part of the growing Simulation & Modelling team based in Wimborne, Dorset.
The team is responsible for the performance of the Hose & Drogue Air-to-Air Refueling systems and the Weapons Carriage & Release systems; these systems can include hydromechanical, electromechanical and software subsystems. Using a combination of industry standard and internally developed tools the team provides support to the current products and is heavily involved in R&D to help shape future products. Our capability to model Hose & Drogue refueling is world leading and strives to reduce development and customer flight test costs.
As a Simulation & Modelling Engineer your main responsibilities will involve:
- Modelling of products at all stages of the life cycle from concept through to in-service.
- First principle hand calculations up to complex cosimulations of multiple integrated systems.
- Real-time, hardware-in-the-loop and software-in-the-loop modelling.
- Integration with customer and supplier models.
- Component, system, ground, wind tunnel and flight test support.
- Detailed analysis of large data sets to confirm performance, validate models and solve problems.
As a Simulation & Modelling Engineer your skills and qualifications will ideally include:
- A degree in a relevant engineering or physics discipline
- A strong understanding of engineering subjects including solid and fluid mechanics, thermodynamics, control theory and aerodynamics.
- Experience of Ansys Fluent and validation with wind tunnel or incompressible fluid flow tests.
- Proven experience applying these skills to vortex shedding surfaces and bluff bodies is essential.
- Experience in some industry standard modelling tools e.g. ANSYS, MSC Software or Mathworks from a degree project or previous employment.
- Experience of a programming language - desirable.
- The ability to understand and analyse complex technical problems.
- Drive and enthusiasm.
- Self-motivation and problem solving ability with excellent attention to detail.
- Excellent interpersonal, reporting and presentation skills.
- A desire to learn and develop.
Cobham Mission Systems are based in Wimborne, Dorset and is a modern facility, which offers an open plan working environment. Cobham employees can expect to benefit from;
· Free onsite parking
· Subsidised restaurant (including a Costa coffee)
· On-line system offering a wide range of competitive flexible benefits including
· a matched pension contribution of up to 12%, private medical and dental insurance,
holiday buy and sell options, subsidised local gym memberships and many others
· Share incentive schemes
· Flexible working hours
· Discounted Cobham Sports and Social Club membership
· A wide range of internal and external training opportunities
Please have a look at the Cobham video on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8coqalSaYos
About Cobham Mission Systems
The most capable critical control solutions for extreme environments.
As the world’s leading supplier of critical control solutions, we help our customers to increase the safety and mission capabilities of their personnel and equipment in extreme environments.
Our proven and trusted solutions in air-to-air refuelling, life support, weapons carriage and unmanned systems, deliver assured performance and class-leading through-life costs that enable our customers to bring complex projects to market quickly, and with minimal risk.
About Cobham plc
Cobham is a leading global technology and services innovator, respected for providing solutions to the greatest challenges, from deep space to the depths of the ocean.
Click here to find out more about us and or check out our LinkedIn company page