Cobham Aviation Services are recruiting for a Firmware Engineer who will be producing customer deliverable firmware in a structured, process driven environment. This will include, but is not limited to, development of the firmware design architecture, models, configuration of FPGA SoC components, firmware tests and documentation as well as being involved in the review, verification, place and route and meet timing processes. The Engineer shall employ the appropriate processes, practices and tools to ensure that responsibilities are completed to meet the required project requirements with the needed quality.
The business have recently been awarded a contract for the design and development of a range of operational training electronic warfare pods by the MoD on behalf of NATO. This will provide realistic training in electronic warfare to the member countries, in order to be able to operate in a real time situation.
This position can be based at either our Bournemouth International Airport or Marlow sites and requires infrequent travel.
As a Firmware Engineer your skills and qualifications will ideally include:
- SC Clearance or have the ability to gain an SC clearance
- Digital hardware design
- Firmware lifecycle development
- RTL design
- Timing closure
- Requirements capture
- Strong written and oral skills
- Have a background in DSP design and verification
- Be familiar with all major FPGA families and microprocessors
- Have an understanding of software and systems engineering principles
- Work to design and coding standards
- Work to configuration standards
As a Firmware Engineer your main responsibilities will involve:
- Application of discipline domain knowledge to the design, development and test of high speed firmware components on time, within budget and with required quality
- Peer review of firmware
- Produce the documentation required to support the firmware
- Assist in estimating, planning and progress reporting
- Provide support to the projects, systems and operations teams
- Continued development of discipline competence and expertise
- Application of, and compliance with, engineering processes and practices including Cobham engineering framework and Life Cycle Management (LCM).
- Identification of opportunities for the improvement of processes, practices and tools
- Collaboration with other project team members to analyse and address project requirements
- Collaboration with discipline peers within the team, Business Unit and company to share and learn best practice
- Support the implementation of design review practice in accordance with Life Cycle Management project governance including: System Design Review, Preliminary Design Review, Critical Design Review, Test Readiness Review and Final Acceptance Review.
- Contribute to business winning technical proposals
Cobham Aviation Services UK
Protecting borders, saving lives and enhancing the effectiveness of defence personnel.
We combine state-of-the-art technology with complex air platforms to deliver customised airborne surveillance, operational readiness training and search and rescue services.
Our end-to-end capabilities benefit government and military customers with responsive and cost-effective turn-key solutions for optimal mission performance.
About Cobham plc
Cobham is a leading global technology and services innovator, respected for providing solutions to the greatest challenges, from deep space to the depths of the ocean.
Click here to find out more about us and or check out our LinkedIn company page