Cobham Mission Systems have an exciting opportunity for a Systems Safety Engineer. You will be working in the Office of Chief Engineers (OCE) as part of the Safety and Reliability Engineering team. The existing team of six engineers carry out detailed safety analysis and safety management oversight, and reliability assessment, for all product streams at the Wimborne facility, which includes Air-to-Air Refuelling and Weapons Carriage and Release systems.
As a Systems Safety Engineer, you will work directly with project teams, carrying out safety analysis, review of drawings and reports, and attending project team meetings, design reviews and safety review meetings. As part of borderless engineering, there is opportunity to influence the safety and reliability of products across the Cobham Mission Systems division, and the wider Cobham group of companies.
The role can be adapted to someone interested in moving into this exciting area, or to someone with significant systems safety experience. There is also the opportunity to be involved in reliability analysis and certification of aerospace systems.
Cobham Mission Systems are based in Wimborne, Dorset and is a modern facility, which offers an open plan working environment. Cobham employees can expect to benefit from;
- Free onsite parking
- Restaurant (including a Costa coffee)
- On-line system offering a wide range of competitive flexible benefits including a matched pension contribution of up to 12%, private medical and dental insurance, holiday buy and sell options, subsidised local gym memberships and many others
- Share incentive schemes[SG1]
- Flexible working hours
- Discounted Cobham Sports and Social Club membership
- A wide range of internal and external training opportunities
This role is based in Wimborne, Dorset.
As a Systems Safety Engineer, your skills and experience will include:
- Degree-level qualification (or equivalent experience) in an engineering subject.
- Experience working in an aerospace or defence environment, in a design, assurance or analysis role.
- An analytical mind, and a methodical approach with attention to detail.
- Adaptable and be able to foster excellent working relationships, whilst working on multiple projects simultaneously.
- Enthusiastic and motivated, with a passion for safety.
- Good communication and IT skills is essential.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Knowledge of safety legislation, including EASA CS25.1309, FAA FAR 25.1309, MIL-STD-882 or UK Defence Standard 00-56.
- Experience in the safety assessment techniques defined in SAE ARP 4761 and/or MIL-STD-882.
- Use of safety analysis software, such as Cassandra, Isograph Reliability Workbench or Windchill Risk and Reliability suite (Relex), or Ansys Medini Analyze.
- An understanding of airworthiness, certification and configuration management.
As a Systems Safety Engineer, your main responsibilities will involve:
- Preparing safety plans and estimating safety activities for new opportunities.
- Holding and faciliting Safety Working Groups and Project Safety Committees, to carry out hazard identification, requirements derivation and hazard sentencing.
- Liasing with project teams to review and influence the design.
- Carrying out detailed safety analysis, including Functional Hazard Analysis, System Hazard Analysis, Fault Tree Analysis and Common Cause Analysis.
- Reviewing verification evidence to establish compliance with safety requirements and identifying controls to support the hazard analysis.
- Support and be involved in discussions with our customers to agree safety targets and requirements, explain details of the safety assessment and ensure transfer of risks.
- Support the company Safety Management System (SMS) through active safety management and product failure investigations, promotion of the importance of safety, and development of company safety processes.
About Cobham Mission Systems
The most capable critical control solutions for extreme environments.
As the world’s leading supplier of critical control solutions, we help our customers to increase the safety and mission capabilities of their personnel and equipment in extreme environments.
Our proven and trusted solutions in air-to-air refuelling, life support, weapons carriage and unmanned systems, deliver assured performance and class-leading through-life costs that enable our customers to bring complex projects to market quickly, and with minimal risk.
About Cobham plc
Cobham is a leading global technology and services innovator, respected for providing solutions to the greatest challenges, from deep space to the depths of the ocean.
Click here to find out more about us and or check out our LinkedIn company page