Cobham is seeking a Mechanical Design Engineer III. Ideal candidates for the position are passionate individuals who strive to create innovative solutions using proven technical aptitude and are able to spearhead teams while acting as the lead project engineer and directing the work of others. This position is located in Orchard Park, NY.
- This role will facilitate the design of new and legacy products for the Aerospace industry supporting manned and unmanned flights, Life Support applications in commercial and military platforms, and Defense industry platforms.
- Responsible for independently determining and developing an approach on designs featuring diverse scope and complexity where analysis and full evaluation of identifiable factors is key.
- Work will be performed in a design and development team environment under general supervision of an Engineering Manager and/or higher-level Mechanical Engineers.
- Regular tasks include the design and development of new products in an R&D environment, support to bid and proposal efforts, support to the production teams and any timely issue resolution.
- The Mechanical Design Engineer III will use input from the cross functional team, propose design changes that will improve the manufacturability, performance, and or cost of existing production hardware while diligently documenting each step of the design process for future reference/re-use.
- The Mechanical Design Engineer III may participate in engineering initiatives and activities, as well as provide technical input to non-engineering support staff.
- The Mechanical Design Engineer III may also assist with training lower level employees in completing work assignments as well as acting as a mentor to interns or lower level Mechanical Engineers.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering OR Aerospace Engineering from an ABET Accredited university.
- Minimum of 5 Years Related Professional Experience.
- This position requires access to technology, materials, software or hardware that is controlled by export laws of the US. In order to be eligible you must be either a US Citizen or Permanent Resident.
- Experience with SolidWorks 3D CAD.
- Ability to work effectively within a cross functional team.
- Candidates should reflect a proficiency in understanding technical regulations, military or industrial standards, program management policies & procedures, system modelling, advanced test set-up, problem identification and failure analysis.
- Working knowledge in several of the following areas is desired; D(P)FMEA, DFMA, reliability, environments, oxygen safety, risk management, and Design for Six Sigma.
- Possess good oral and written communication skills as well as being comfortable in making presentations.
- As our products are relied heavily upon in critical life support applications across the globe and in outer space, candidates must have a strong attention to detail and use good judgement in selecting methods and techniques for obtaining creative solutions.
- Have sound problem resolution, judgment and decision making skills.
Cobham's values of Trust, Talent and Technology have driven us from our launch in 1934 by Sir Alan Cobham, an aviation innovator, to becoming a global leader in state-of-the-art aerospace and defense systems. And it’s the insights of our innovators today that will secure our collective future. Innovators like you.
Cobham is one of the world's leading companies engaged in the development, delivery and support of leading-edge aerospace and defense systems in the air, on land and at sea. Our clients and partners trust Cobham to deliver the mission-critical technology they need, and we trust our employees to draw on their ingenuity and passion to deliver those solutions. This leads to an empowering culture for our people. Our Leadership team is open, sharing plans for the next five years, driving retention by offering demanding, exciting work, and providing full guidance and mentoring.
Cobham is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and embraces diversity in our employee population. It is the policy of Cobham to provide equal opportunity to all qualified applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, or genetic information. Cobham will refrain from discharging, or otherwise discriminating against, employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants.