Cobham is seeking a Supplier Development Engineer that will be responsible to drive improvements for assigned programs and processes including identifying, leading, and coordinating strategic changes that result in cost reductions, quality improvements, product design upgrades driving error proofing, manufacturability and testability, and customer satisfaction throughout the supply chain. The SDE’s primary mission is to engage, coordinate, and collaborate with suppliers to improve quality, on-time delivery performance and optimize processes (Lean / 6 Sigma). This position is designed to drive and ensure uninterrupted and efficient flow of optimal quality materials, products, and services entering the supply chain. Tactics will include utilizing dock-to-stock (supplier to point of use), certified strategic suppliers such as Designated Supplier Quality Representatives (DSQR), vendor managed inventory (VMI), and Supply Chain pull systems. The SDE will work closely with procurement, engineering, quality engineering, receiving inspection, and operation organizations to ensure that Cobham’s division goals and customer expectations are realized. Additionally, the SDE is responsible to manage the Designated Supplier Quality Representative (DSQR) Program at Cobham. This includes monitoring DSQR supplier performance (OTD & QTY) and mitigation unacceptable risk. The position uses analytical and quantitative methods to understand, predict, and enhance supply chain and supplier (OEM) processes. This position is for future opportunities and located in Davenport, IA.
- Train Suppliers BASIC Root Cause/Corrective Action, Process Mapping and Problem solving to Suppliers.
- Collaborate with shop floor personnel and extended Manufacturing teams regarding performance of product and support the technical team to determine process improvements required to eliminate waste.
- Manage Corrective Action Resolution for DSQR suppliers. Drive improvement projects and RCCA as required.
- Investigate supply chain disruptions caused by DSQR suppliers, typically systemic in nature, to determine a strategic course of action required to initiate root cause. Direct cause can be technical, administrative, or process. This includes coordinating and collaborating with required technical knowledge experts such as: Design Engineering (DE), Supplier Quality Engineering (SQE), Manufacturing Engineering (ME), Procurement, Material Planning, Assembly line, etc., and OEM suppliers responsible for providing an optimal solution.
- Participate and at times lead Kaizen events (internal, across Zodiac Seats (RC, CH, and GV), and OEMs as required to drive process improvements.
- Gather, interpret relevant data, and create effective presentations (costs, productivity, defect patterns, etc.)
- Augment effective communication by interfacing with Cobham’s ASL Suppliers, Procurement, Quality, Engineering, Continuous Improvement (Lean), and Value Stream organizations.
- Create and present DSQR supplier performance metrics to management. This includes informal (email, hard copies, etc.) and formal (meeting presenter) presentation of DSQR supplier performance.
- Manage DSQR logistics including the monitor & control process improvement initiatives. This includes participating in and on occasion, leading rapid improvement teams as needed to improve an existing process or address an emerging problem.
- Set up and lead IPTs meetings with DSQR / pre – DSQR suppliers, SQEs, and other technical organizational representatives as required to review supplier performance score card charges, validate direct causes, and drive periodic improvement teams to complete RCA and / or implement solutions.
- Coordinate, monitor the process, and / or create monthly supplier score cards and off-board to suppliers including the data representing the charge to the supplier impacting OTD and Quality performance.
- Assist the Quality & Supply Chain Organizations in the creation and maintenance of a Cobham Quality Management System (QMS) and Supplemental Purchase Order Conditions (SPOC) that will be used to establish and flow out qualify requirements, assess suppliers, and measure all suppliers providing product or services. This will include forms, documents, and correspondence necessary to communicate between Cobham and the suppliers in regards to supplier quality, approved supplier list, supplier risk mitigation, and supplier consolidation.
- Create procedures or work instructions related to DSQR Dock-Stock Strategies, Supplier Management, and supplier performance metrics.
- Utilize resources across Cobham and collaborate with suppliers to resolve complex process and technical issues, and provide project management as required to ensure resolution.
- Certify supplier’s employees to inspect parts and materials driving conformance and compliance requirements with the goal of zero defects.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Supply Chain, Industrial Management, Science, or Business.
- 3-5 years’ experience in Quality, Engineering, Manufacturing, Operations, or related Business Operations, working with products or processes.
- 2+ years’ experience working directly with suppliers to improve quality and on-time-delivery, working knowledge of incoming quality inspection, quality systems, corrective action planning (8D), supplier corrective actions (SCARs), correct actions (CARs), and Statistical Process Control (SPC).
- This position requires access to technology, materials, software or hardware that is controlled by export laws of the US. In order to be eligible you must be either a US Citizen or Permanent Resident.
- 1+ years Project Management experience.
- Project Management certification.
- Six Sigma Green Belt Certification.
- Experience with Lean Principles: Value Stream Mapping, Just-In-Time (JIT), Demand Flow, Single Piece Flow, 5S, Visual Management, Total Productive Maintenance, Continuous Improvement Process, Kaizen, SPC, Six Sigma and Statistical Problem Solving.
- Ability to travel up to 50% and ability to obtain and hold a passport.
For more information regarding the Davenport facility and products manufactured there, please visit the below links:
Cobham's values of Trust, Talent and Technology have driven us from our launch in 1934 by Sir Alan Cobham, an aviation innovator, to becoming a global leader in state-of-the-art aerospace and defense systems. And it’s the insights of our innovators today that will secure our collective future. Innovators like you.
Cobham is one of the world's leading companies engaged in the development, delivery and support of leading-edge aerospace and defense systems in the air, on land and at sea. Our clients and partners trust Cobham to deliver the mission-critical technology they need, and we trust our employees to draw on their ingenuity and passion to deliver those solutions. This leads to an empowering culture for our people. Our Leadership team is open, sharing plans for the next five years, driving retention by offering demanding, exciting work, and providing full guidance and mentoring.
Cobham is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and embraces diversity in our employee population. It is the policy of Cobham to provide equal opportunity to all qualified applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, or genetic information. Cobham will refrain from discharging, or otherwise discriminating against, employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants.
To see all of our latest opportunities and for consideration please visit www.cobham.com/careers