A career with CAES is more than just a job, it is the pathway to a bright future.
Are you searching for a career with a company that offers challenging, diverse projects and opportunities? Are you looking for a position with a company that is growing and able to offer long-term professional advancement? Searching for a company that values a friendly work environment that values YOU? Consider Cobham. #peoplefocusedmissiondriven #everymissionmatters
Cobham’s Integrated Electronic Solutions’ (IES) Lansdale, PA business is a leading supplier of integrated RF solutions and high power, solid state broadband transmitters for EW and Radar applications and antennas and precision positioners both for standalone aperture and positioner requirements as well as integrated sensor systems across many high performance applications. The EIS business is experiencing exciting growth and is recruiting an RF Engineering Manager to lead the RF engineering group. The EIS engineering team is very strong, encompassing over 100 engineering professionals including systems, software, RF, power amplifier, antenna, mechanical, reliability, test engineers and other specialties, located in Lansdale as well as across several other sites.
This role reports to the EIS Hardware Development Engineering Manager. The ideal candidate is someone with a strong engineering and programmatic background who has experience in managing RF engineering for development programs and production support activities across a diverse product portfolio and has proven capabilities to work across functions in a matrix organization to achieve operational results. This role includes active management of the RF engineering functional group as well as management of cross-functional engineering activities on assigned programs.
- Actively leading and managing the RF engineering group to assure that technical, cost, and schedule goals are met for new product development, proposal, and IR&D activities
- Providing RF engineering expertise and support to operations and other functions as needed to achieve customer satisfaction, revenue, profitability, and continuous improvement objectives
- Managing cross-functional engineering activities as lead engineering manager for assigned programs, proposals, and IR&D activities
- Working collaboratively with the other IES engineering managers to enable cross-functional and cross-site teams to realize the full strength of IES engineering capabilities, including coordinating resource assignments, tool selection, and procedure development
- Talent management, including recruitment, mentoring, training, development, performance management, and succession planning, to assure that skilled resources are available to support required RF engineering tasks ensuring that the core technical competence of the RF Engineering department remains current, competitive and efficient.
- Resource planning, including monthly updating of labor loading analysis, to assure appropriate assignments for personnel, matching engineering skill sets and capacity to program needs
- Identification of capital, licenses, tools, etc. necessary for the RF group to successfully execute new product development, proposal, and IR&D responsibilities
- Management of RF engineering department expenses, including indirect expenses, to satisfy the business performance goals while complying with the RF Engineering department budget
- Assuring that engineering activities are performed in accordance with ISO (QMS) guidelines, including application of appropriate tailoring based on the varying complexity and risk of individual programs
- Employ design for excellence principles throughout the entire product lifecycle to ensure technical success as well as compliance to unit production cost and reliability requirements are satisfied.
- Lead, participate in, and facilitate continuous improvement efforts related to engineering development, test readiness, production readiness, and other engineering-related topics using Kaizen, A3, and other continuous improvement methods.
- Manage engineering Key Performance Indicator (KPI) data collection and reporting for RF engineering and assigned development programs. Drive improvements in engineering performance metrics.
• Ability to lead and drive high performance across engineering programs, with a strong focus on program execution and engineering rigor, customer satisfaction, and speed to market
• Ability to apply sound technical and programmatic judgment and drive effective risk and opportunity management
• Critical thinking knowledge to identify and investigate potential risk areas, lead and conduct root cause analyses, and resolve technical issues
• Ability to manage, plan, and deliver complex multi-disciplined engineering tasks successfully across many simultaneous programs, meeting technical, cost, schedule, and quality goals
• Experience with leading edge RF engineering, design and analysis techniques maximizing the effectiveness of various CAE/CAD tools for RF Chain modeling, analysis, detailed design, qualification and optimization throughout all stages of the product lifecycle Strong written and verbal communication skills, employing diplomacy, confidence and tact; assertive without antagonism or alienation
• Ability to develop talent through coaching, training, performance management, and recruitment
• Ability to build excellent relationships with key stakeholders, ensuring “cross-pollination” of insights and experiences
• Ability to work within a matrixed management structure in an agile and non-siloed manner
• Ability to role-model for the organization in line with Cobham’s SPIRIT values, exhibiting exemplary leadership behavior and emotional intelligence
Key Measures / Milestones:
• Attaining Engineering Operational Excellence goals including technical, schedule, development cost, design-to-unit-production cost, design for manufacturability, and design for reliability goals
• Engineering Key Performance Indicators (KPI) improvement
• Customer Satisfaction ratings
• BSEE or related degree in engineering or physics
• Five (5) + years of experience as a manager leading engineering teams
• Seven (7) + years of experience in new product development and transition to full-rate-production.
• Ten (10) + years minimum experience as an electrical engineer focused on the development of integrated microwave assemblies such as receivers, transmitters, RF distribution networks, and local oscillator circuits for high reliability and/or military applications.
• Two (2)+ years of experience with engineering and quality requirements for RF integrated microwave assemblies for high reliability and/or military applications.
• Two (2)+ years of experience generating product cost estimates, interfacing and supporting business development, and writing proposals.
• Ability to obtain and maintain a SECRET security clearance.
• Masters’ Degree in Engineering or Management.
• Seven (7) years of experience as a manager leading RF and Microwave engineering teams for EW defense applications.
• Broadband microwave design experience.
• Millimeter-wave design experience.
• Knowledgeable in management and use of Design and Analysis tools for RF/Microwave applications.
• Demonstrated understanding of Root Cause and Corrective Action concepts and initiatives
• Experience with engineering and quality requirements for defense applications.
• Knowledgeable in Documentation and Configuration Control concepts for multi-level electronic assemblies constructed using chip and wire and SMT techniques.
• Experience in program management.
• Experience using Microsoft Project to plan and manage development programs.
• Certification in Lean 6-sigma methods.
• Experience working in and driving results in a matrix organization.
• Experience interfacing directly with customers.
• Business experience, including responsibility for budgets, cost estimates, resource planning, and proposals.
• Active SECRET security clearance.
Founded in 1934 by aviation innovator Sir Alan Cobham, our values of Trust, Talent and Technology have driven us to become a global leader in state-of-the-art aerospace and defense systems. It's the insights of our innovators today that will secure our collective future. Innovators like you!
If you are authorized to work in the United States, then we encourage you to apply. We are unable to sponsor work visas.
Cobham is one of the world's leading companies engaged in the development, delivery and support of leading-edge aerospace and defense systems in the air, on land and at sea. Our clients and partners trust Cobham to deliver the mission-critical technology they need, and we trust our employees to draw on their ingenuity and passion to deliver those solutions. This leads to an empowering culture for our people. Our Leadership team is open, sharing plans for the next five years, driving retention by offering demanding, exciting work, and providing full guidance and mentoring.
Cobham is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and embraces diversity in our employee population. It is the policy of Cobham to provide equal opportunity to all qualified applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, or genetic information. Cobham will refrain from discharging, or otherwise discriminating against, employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants.
The EEO is the Law poster is available here and the poster supplement is available here.
The Pay Transparency Policy is available here.
Cobham Advanced Electronic Solutions is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation due to a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to CAEScareers@cobham.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.