A career with CAES is more than just a job, it is the pathway to a bright future.
Are you searching for a career with a company that offers challenging, diverse projects and opportunities? Are you looking for a position with a company that is growing and able to offer long-term professional advancement? Searching for a company that values a friendly work environment and that values YOU? Consider Cobham. #peoplefocusedmissiondriven #everymissionmatters
We are Cobham Advanced Electronic Solutions (CAES), a technologically advanced electronics company employing more than 3,600 talented makers, thinkers, innovators, and doers nationwide. We build things that solve challenging problems from deep space to the depths of the ocean. We serve customers in defense, aerospace, security, medical, and industrial markets.
This role reports to
the Product Line Director of the Motion Control Business and is a key member of
the site’s Program Management team, driving high standards of business
performance through collaboration and coordination across all functions within
the site. The ideal candidate is someone
with strong experience in managing complex, fast paced development and
production programs. The candidate must
be a highly motivated and driven self-starter who has proven leadership to work
across functions in a matrix organization to optimize performance and deliver
Program Manager (OPM) is responsible to the Program Manager for execution
through Operations and will represent Operations on the Program IPT. The OPM
will serve as the Control Account Manager for the Manufacturing Readiness IPT
and lead the first time build / transition from engineering to manufacturing
focusing in on DFMA based on product introduction (NPI), design readiness,
manufacturing readiness, material supply and capacity requirements. The OPM
will work with the VSM to ensure production schedules are met and costs
objectives are achieved.
Key responsibilities are noted below.
- Represent the Operations function in the Proposal Kick-off meetings. Meet with the VSM to review proposal requirements, proposal deliverables, cost targets, and due dates.
- Work with the Operations organization to develop a solution to meet cost targets and proposal time lines. Work with process groups to develop Basis of Estimates based on historical information or standards based on expert judgement.Review Operations submissions with the VSM.
- Work with the Operations Planning group to develop a production schedule based on material lead times, proposed labor hours for each task, que times, and capacity constraints.Review with VSM for completeness and resource requirements.
- Working with the VSM and Operations Process Groups, identify potential risks and opportunities to deliver the proposed solution.Review past lessons learned, Non-Conformances, and historical information to identify problem areas.Working with Operations to develop mitigation and realization plans.Determine cost of those plans.
- In collaboration with the VSM, brief the Operations Director and VP, Operations (as required) to gain approval on Operations proposal inputs. Participate in Bid
- Lead the Cross Functional team to develop the product flow through manufacturing to achieve the product throughput and cost targets. Oversee the implementation of changes as required.
- Integrate and manage a cross functional team to design, release and manufacture the required production fixtures to support the intended throughput while meeting cost and schedule targets. Provide status reports to the Program Manager during Program Management Meetings.
- Working with the VSM and VS Process Groups, generate the plan to develop travelers required to manufacture production hardware.Integrate and manage a cross functional team to execute the plan while achieving cost and schedule targets.Ensure standards are created for each step in the manufacturing process.
- Integrate and manage a cross functional team to develop work instructions to efficiently and effectively manufacture the product at each step in the manufacturing process. Manage IPT to complete work instructions per schedule requirements.
- Collaborate with the VSM to identify operational facilities & equipment capital equipment needs to support new programs. Support development of business case prior to approval of capital request. Develop and manage plan to execute on approved capital expenditures.
- Chair the make / buy process.Work with Operations to develop cost estimates to manufacture sub-assemblies and/or top level assemblies internally. Work with Supply Chain to identify potential external sources and obtain estimates to manufacture sub-assemblies and/or top level assemblies. Develop business case and make recommendation to the Program Manager, Product Line Director, and Operations Director.
- Work with Operations Supply Chain organization on selection and qualification of new Suppliers.
- Working with the Supply Chain team, identify all DMS issues affecting the program.Lead a cross functional team of Engineering , Operations, Quality, and Supply chain to develop solution to replace obsolete part including form, fit, function part replacements or design changes. Work with the Program Office to gain the necessary customer approvals.Ensure drawings are updated to reflect the necessary changes. Ensure all DMS activities are incorporated into the schedule and manage IPT to deliver against schedule.
- Work with Operations Planning to track cost and schedule of material vs. budget and need.Coordinate the resolution for all Supply Chain issues across all functions (i.e. Customer, Engineering, Mfg. Engineering, Quality, Security etc.).Working with Ops Planning and Supply Chain, understand and mitigate material delays where practical and adjust material receipt dates as required to minimize cash outlay. Provide input to the Program Manager on material delays and impacts to deliverable hardware.
- Responsible for Program Execution through Operations for Program Management.Serve as the interface to Operations for the "front end” of the business, (Customer, Contracts, PMO, and Engineering) to ensure compliance with Contract requirements for product delivery, technical & QA.
- Works with Operations team to assure timely actions for impacts to the product delivery schedule associated with ECOs, Contract modifications or Customer stop work directive to lessen or eliminate impact to the production schedule.
- Coordinate with cross functional IPT team members to ensure required resources are provided timely to conduct in-process activities (i.e. inspection) to avoid delays in production schedule.
- Attend Tiered Accountability Meetings. Communicate and collaborate with process stakeholders on disruptions, deviations and technical challenges to program delivery schedule. Champions integrated product team collaboration and RCCA activity.
- Serving as the Operations Control Account Manager (CAM) and acting on behalf of the PMO, measure performance of product manufacturing against established plans for Schedule, Cost, Technical, and Quality performance.Work with the VSM and Value Stream Process Groups to determine root cause and corrective actions for all variances.
- Support monthly Program Reviews as required.Provide required input on behalf of Operations for schedule and cost performance.
- Work with the VSM and Process Group Supervisors to review actual costs incurred against budgets (minimum monthly).Using analytics, develop a range of outcomes based on current and projected performance.Working with the VSM and Process Group supervisors develop variance analysis for all costs over budget and develop recovery plan to achieve budget.
- In coordination with Operations Planning, track the progress of assembly and test activities to measure performance against the production schedule. Work with the VSM and Progress Group supervisors to prioritize activities to assure schedules are maintained.Communicates and collaborates with process stakeholders on disruptions, deviations and technical challenges to program delivery schedule. For all schedule delays, work with the VSM and Value Stream Process Group
- Supervisors to develop and execute a recovery plan to meet customer commitments.Provide status of schedule performance to the Program Manager during IPT meetings.
- Working with the Supply Chain team, proactively measure the performance of suppliers through periodic calls/meetings.Act as interface with Customer, PMO and engineering for any supplier activity requiring external approvals.As required, travel to supplier to perform surveillance audits and/or address performance issues.
and Opportunity Management:
- Work with the Operations Process Groups to qualitatively and quantitatively identify potential risks and opportunities related to the procurement, build, and test of production hardware.Review findings with the VSM and gain alignment on R&Os and associated mitigation / realization activities.Provide cost estimate for mitigation / realization activities.Serve as the interface for Operations on Risk and Opportunity matters to the Program IPT.
- Support FRBs and MRBs on behalf of the Program Office.Communicate status of FRBs, MRBs, and RC/CA to the Program Manager during Program Management
- Meetings.Support customer calls as required to provided status and gain required approvals.
- Provide weekly/monthly status reports to PM for key customers (as required). Supports the Program Manager as required for customer meetings including providing necessary data / presentations.Speaks on behalf of Operations in Customer meetings.
- In collaboration with Quality, work with customers to resolve discrepancies on monthly scorecards.In collaboration with the VSM, develop return to green plans for all non-green customer ratings.
- Working with the Program Manager and the VSM, identify cost reduction targets and implement continuous improvement initiatives to realize objectives. Identify new equipment needs to support Continuous Improvement needs.
- Bachelors degree or additional 4 years of relevant experience
- 3+ years of program management experience in manufacturing, operations, or engineering OR Master's degree with 2+ years of program management experience
- Proficiency with Microsoft Project similar scheduling system
- US Citizenship required in order to obtain/maintain security clearance
- Experience managing multiple $500,000+ US Defense or Space related Design programs
- Program Management experience with Motion Control products, electronics, and Design efforts on Space products.
- Program Management experience directing production and development programs from pursuit of the opportunity, proposal, contract award, through completion.
Bachelors or Masters degree in Engineering or Technical field
- Experience leading proposal teams and developing proposals, participating in negotiations of contract and contract changes, and developing/managing business plans for assigned programs.
- Strong knowledge of Us Government Program Management standards and operating procedures.
- Strong background in Program Finance, including Estimating, Forecasting, Managing cost, and achieving financial goals in Revenue, Profit, Cash, and Working Capital.
- People leadership: coach and mentor staff; ability to lead with integrity, honesty and trust; ability to deliver reliable, unique and leading edge solutions that exceed expectations; ability to act with energy, passion and responsibility; ability to collaborate to leverage and align all elements of the business; ability to inspire every employee to reach his or her full potential and achieve excellence
- PgMP, PMP, or other program/project certification
- Eligible for DoD Clearance, or Active DoD clearance
Founded in 1934 by aviation innovator Sir Alan Cobham, our values of Trust, Talent and Technology have driven us to become a global leader in state-of-the-art aerospace and defense systems. It's the insights of our innovators today that will secure our collective future. Innovators like you!
If you are authorized to work in the United States, then we encourage you to apply. We are unable to sponsor work visas. U.S. Citizenship required for positions requiring a Security Clearance.
Cobham is one of the world's leading companies engaged in the development, delivery and support of leading-edge aerospace and defense systems in the air, on land and at sea. Our clients and partners trust Cobham to deliver the mission-critical technology they need, and we trust our employees to draw on their ingenuity and passion to deliver those solutions. This leads to an empowering culture for our people. Our Leadership team is open, sharing plans for the next five years, driving retention by offering demanding, exciting work, and providing full guidance and mentoring.
Cobham is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and embraces diversity in our employee population. It is the policy of Cobham to provide equal opportunity to all qualified applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, or genetic information. Cobham will refrain from discharging, or otherwise discriminating against, employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants.
The EEO is the Law poster is available here and the poster supplement is available here.
The Pay Transparency Policy is available here.
Cobham Advanced Electronic Solutions is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation due to a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to CAEScareers@cobham.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.