A career with CAES is more than just a job, it is the pathway to a bright future.
Are you searching for a career with a company that offers challenging, diverse projects and opportunities? Are you looking for a position with a company that is growing and able to offer long-term professional advancement? Searching for a company that values a friendly work environment and that values YOU? Consider Cobham. #peoplefocusedmissiondriven #everymissionmatters
We are Cobham Advanced Electronic Solutions (CAES), a technologically advanced electronics company employing more than 3,600 talented makers, thinkers, innovators, and doers nationwide. We build things that solve challenging problems from deep space to the depths of the ocean. We serve customers in defense, aerospace, security, medical, and industrial markets.
The Senior Buyer position involves
collaborating across multiple departments, planning, scheduling and monitoring
the movement of materials through the production cycle to determine required
materials purchases. Scope includes obtaining materials using engineering and
production schedules to maintain inventory at planned levels (“just-in-time
purchases, use of economic order quantities), resolving discrepancies, ensuring
material standards are met and non-conformances or variances are approved
and/or minimized, gathering quotations, examining bids and making awards,
evaluating Supplier reliability and developing new supply sources where
competition doesn’t currently exist. Requires
an ability to build positive relationships with key Suppliers while leveraging these
relationships to improve Supplier quality, costs, service, and preserve
Department of Defense (DOD) certification.
This position will support our Radar and Electronic Warfare Micoelectronics Business Area located in San Diego, CA.
- Determine material requirements and schedule the ordering thereof; source, negotiate and execute awards for direct material, indirect material and capital equipment at the best value to the organization and on a timely basis to support production schedule.
- Monitor the addition of new customer requirements and work to ensure timely release of purchase requisition to provide program support.Evaluate current programs to verify that they are being fully supported by evaluating ERP signals, EML and quality issues.
- Flag production impacts and escalate resolution through appropriate support and management personnel; communicate program impact to appropriate departments.
- Create purchase requisitions and purchase orders for accuracy and conformance with established policies and procedures.
- Obtain oral and/or written quotations from Suppliers; document competitive bidding.
- Expedite purchase orders if necessary; notify department of the expected delivery date and follow up on back orders.
- Negotiate and execute critical, complex, high-value awards; manage price increase situations and cost improvement initiatives with the team; drive all elements of the procurement process with Suppliers resulting in the best value for Cobham.
- Interface with external suppliers and internal clients including Value Stream, Manufacturing and Engineering.
- Produce material status reports for program reviews and performance base payments as required by program management.
- Represent/support the department in daily huddles and GEMBA with material status updates.
- Negotiate and execute purchase orders and/or contracts; follow-up and expedite late and pending orders; resolve receiving discrepancies; coordinate Return to
- Vendor (RTV) and reconcile finance issues (incorrect invoices).
- Search out alternate Suppliers to establish competition and to help minimize material shortages and stock outages.
- Meet with Suppliers seeking to establish relationship with the firm; review materials presented and recommend whether the vendor deserves further consideration.
- Participate in supplier visits, audits, and performance management conference calls when necessary; in collaboration with the Commodity Managers and Quality Assurance. Provide feedback to support the Supplier Report Card, in order to elevate or maintain corporate expectations of supplier’s excellence in delivery.
- Populate an up-to-date system on pricing and Suppliers to ensure immediate and accurate access to information in the ERP system.
- Participate in safety training and actively comply with safety policies and practices.
- Participate in Lean/Six Sigma activities in own work area as well as events for other areas to enhance cross-functional problem solving. Improve and maintain 5S in your area; make suggestions for improvements.
- Support and address KPI matrix and report outs.
- Bachelors degree
- 5+ years of purchasing experience to include experience in a manufacturing environment, or 3+ years of experience with a Master's degree
- US Citizenship required in order for eligibility to obtain or maintain a security clearance
- CPM, CPIM, or ISM certifications
- Aerospace, defense, or automotive industry purchasing, operations, or supply chain experience
- CapEx/Indirect purchasing experience
- Strong analytical, time management, and communication skills to work successfully in a matrix environment
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and ERP systems
Founded in 1934 by aviation innovator Sir Alan Cobham, our values of Trust, Talent and Technology have driven us to become a global leader in state-of-the-art aerospace and defense systems. It's the insights of our innovators today that will secure our collective future. Innovators like you!
If you are authorized to work in the United States, then we encourage you to apply. We are unable to sponsor work visas. U.S. Citizenship required for positions requiring a Security Clearance.
Cobham is one of the world's leading companies engaged in the development, delivery and support of leading-edge aerospace and defense systems in the air, on land and at sea. Our clients and partners trust Cobham to deliver the mission-critical technology they need, and we trust our employees to draw on their ingenuity and passion to deliver those solutions. This leads to an empowering culture for our people. Our Leadership team is open, sharing plans for the next five years, driving retention by offering demanding, exciting work, and providing full guidance and mentoring.
Cobham is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and embraces diversity in our employee population. It is the policy of Cobham to provide equal opportunity to all qualified applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, or genetic information. Cobham will refrain from discharging, or otherwise discriminating against, employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants.
The EEO is the Law poster is available here and the poster supplement is available here.
The Pay Transparency Policy is available here.
Cobham Advanced Electronic Solutions is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation due to a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to CAEScareers@cobhamaes.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.