Cobham’s Integrated Electronic Solutions’ (IES) Lansdale, PA business is a leading supplier of integrated RF solutions and high power, solid state broadband transmitters for EW and Radar applications and antennas and precision positioners both for standalone aperture and positioner requirements as well as integrated sensor systems across many high performance applications. The Lansdale business is experiencing exciting growth and is recruiting an Antenna Engineering Manager to lead the Antenna Engineering department. The EIS engineering team is very strong, encompassing over 120 engineering professionals including systems, software, RF, power amplifier, antenna, mechanical, reliability, test engineers and other specialties, located in Lansdale as well as across several other sites.
This role reports to the EIS Director of Engineering. The ideal candidate is someone with a strong engineering and programmatic background who has experience in managing and leading antenna engineering teams through all phases of the product lifecycle with a proven history for delivering highly competitive designs within cost and schedule constraints. This role includes active leadership and management of the antenna engineering group across a wide portfolio of antenna products. To be considered for this position a candidate must have an established history of cultivating and leading an antenna engineering team with proven capabilities to work across functions in a matrix organization to achieve technical and business results.
• Actively managing the Antenna Engineering department across a wide variety of programs and multiple sites to assure that technical, cost, and schedule goals are met for new product development, proposal, and IR&D activities
• Providing antenna engineering expertise and support to operations and other functions as needed to achieve customer satisfaction, revenue, profitability, and business improvement objectives
• Working collaboratively with the other engineering managers to enable cross-functional and cross-site teams to realize the full strength of IES engineering capabilities, including the development and implementation of best practices across multiple sites for effectiveness and efficiency, including resource coordination, tool selection, and procedure development
• Resource planning, including consistent updating of labor loading analysis, to assure appropriate and timely assignments for personnel, matching engineering skill sets and capacity to program needs
• Talent management, including recruitment, mentoring, training, development, performance management, and succession planning, to assure that skilled resources are available to support required antenna engineering, analysis, design and test tasks ensuring that the core technical competence of the Antenna Engineering department remains current, competitive and efficient.
• Identification of capital, licenses, tools, etc. necessary for the Antenna Engineering department to successfully propose, plan and execute; new product development and launch, IR&D, and sustaining product support.
• Management of Antenna Engineering department expenses, including indirect expenses, to satisfy the business performance goals while complying with the Antenna Engineering Department budget
• Assuring that engineering activities are performed in accordance with ISO (QMS) guidelines, including application of appropriate tailoring based on the varying complexity and risk of individual programs
• Employ design for excellence principles throughout the entire product lifecycle to ensure technical success as well as compliance to unit production cost and reliability requirements are satisfied.
• Lead, participate in, and facilitate continuous improvement efforts related to engineering business performance, product development, product realization and sustainment using established methods for advancing product and business performance.
• Manage engineering Key Process Indicators (KPIs) by establishing process metrics, collecting and reporting data, and driving actions to achieve desired results.
• Core Competencies:
• Ability to lead and drive high performance across engineering programs, with a strong focus on program execution, engineering rigor, customer satisfaction, and speed to market
• Ability to apply sound technical and programmatic judgment and drive effective risk and opportunity management
• Critical thinking knowledge to identify and investigate potential risk areas, lead and conduct root cause analyses, and resolve technical issues
• Ability to manage, plan, and deliver complex multi-disciplined engineering tasks successfully across many simultaneous programs, meeting technical, cost, schedule, and quality goals
• Experience with leading edge antenna engineering, design and analysis techniques maximizing the effectiveness of various CAE/CAD tools for antenna modeling, analysis, detailed design, qualification and optimization throughout all stages of the product lifecycle
• Strong written and verbal communication skills, employing diplomacy, confidence and tact; being assertive without antagonism or alienation
• Ability to cultivate talent through coaching, training, performance management, and recruitment
• Ability to build excellent relationships with key stakeholders, ensuring “cross-pollination” of insights and experiences
• Ability to work within a matrixed management structure in an agile and non-siloed manner
• Ability to role-model for the organization in line with Cobham’s Core SPIRIT values, exhibiting exemplary leadership behavior and emotional intelligence
• Key Measures / Milestones:
• Attaining Engineering Operational Excellence goals including technical, schedule, development cost, design-to-unit-production cost, design for manufacturability, and design for reliability goals
• Engineering Key Performance Indicators (KPI) improvement, including technical performance, design process performance, product readiness and program performance including deliverables such as drawings and BOMs.
• Customer Satisfaction ratings
• BSEE or related degree in electrical engineering, physics, or any engineering science
• Five (5) years of experience as a manager leading engineering teams.
• Seven (7) years of experience in new product development and engineering-to-production transitions.
• Ten (10) years of experience as an electrical engineer focused on successfully defining, engineering, analyzing, designing and detailing products to support the introduction of wireless electronic assemblies, subassemblies and systems.
• Ability to obtain and maintain a SECRET security clearance, must be a US citizen.
• Masters’ Degree in Engineering or Management.
• Ability to interpret and analyze complex product requirements, specifications and product verification/validation procedures.
• Experience with engineering and quality requirements for EW defense applications with a focus on antennas.
• Familiarity with Microsoft Project to plan and manage development programs
• Certification in Lean 6-sigma methods.
• Experience working in and driving results in a matrix organization.
• Experience interfacing directly with customers.
• Business experience, including responsibility for budgets, cost estimates, resource planning, and proposals.
• Experience in the development of defense and/or high reliability components, sub-systems, and/or systems.
• Experience generating product cost estimates and writing proposals.
• Demonstrated understanding of Root Cause and Corrective Action concepts and initiatives.
• Working knowledge of LCM and/or Stage-Gate methodology.
• Active SECRET security clearance.
Founded in 1934 by aviation innovator Sir Alan Cobham, our values of Trust, Talent and Technology have driven us to become a global leader in state-of-the-art aerospace and defense systems. It's the insights of our innovators today that will secure our collective future. Innovators like you!
If you are authorized to work in the United States, then we encourage you to apply. We are unable to sponsor work visas.
Cobham is one of the world's leading companies engaged in the development, delivery and support of leading-edge aerospace and defense systems in the air, on land and at sea. Our clients and partners trust Cobham to deliver the mission-critical technology they need, and we trust our employees to draw on their ingenuity and passion to deliver those solutions. This leads to an empowering culture for our people. Our Leadership team is open, sharing plans for the next five years, driving retention by offering demanding, exciting work, and providing full guidance and mentoring.
Cobham is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and embraces diversity in our employee population. It is the policy of Cobham to provide equal opportunity to all qualified applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, or genetic information. Cobham will refrain from discharging, or otherwise discriminating against, employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants.
The EEO is the Law poster is available here and the poster supplement is available here.
The Pay Transparency Policy is available here.
Cobham Advanced Electronic Solutions is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation due to a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to CAEScareers@cobham.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.