The following statements are intended to describe the general nature
and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be
construed as an exhaustive list of all essential functions, duties
and skills required of personnel so classified. Management retains
the discretion to add or change the duties at any time.
Position involves collaborating across multiple departments,
planning, scheduling and monitoring the movement of materials
through the production cycle to determine required materials
purchases. Scope includes obtaining materials using engineering and
production schedules to maintain inventory at planned levels
(“just-in-time purchases, use of economic order quantities),
resolving discrepancies, ensuring material standards are met and
non-conformances or variances are approved and/or minimized,
gathering quotations, examining bids and making awards, evaluating
Supplier reliability and developing new supply sources where
competition doesn’t currently exist. Requires an ability to
build positive relationships with key Suppliers while leveraging
these relationships to improve Supplier quality, costs, service, and
preserve Department of Defense (DOD) certification.
Essential Functions and Duties
- Determine material requirements and schedule the ordering
thereof; source, negotiate and execute awards for direct
material, indirect material and capital equipment at the best
value to the organization and on a timely basis to support
- Monitor the addition of new customer requirements and work to
ensure timely release of purchase requisition to provide program
support. Evaluate current programs to verify that they are
being fully supported by evaluating ERP signals, EML and quality
- Flag production impacts and escalate resolution through
appropriate support and management personnel; communicate
program impact to appropriate departments.
- Create purchase requisitions and purchase orders for accuracy
and conformance with established policies and procedures.
- Obtain oral and/or written quotations from Suppliers; document
- Expedite purchase orders if necessary; notify department of
the expected delivery date and follow up on back orders.
- Negotiate and execute critical, complex, high-value awards;
manage price increase situations and cost improvement
initiatives with the team; drive all elements of the procurement
process with Suppliers resulting in the best value for Cobham.
- Interface with external suppliers and internal clients
including Value Stream, Manufacturing and Engineering.
- Produce material status reports for program reviews and
performance base payments as required by program management.
- Represent/support the department in daily huddles and GEMBA
with material status updates.
- Negotiate and execute purchase orders and/or contracts;
follow-up and expedite late and pending orders; resolve
receiving discrepancies; coordinate Return to Vendor (RTV) and
reconcile finance issues (incorrect invoices).
- Search out alternate Suppliers to establish competition and to
help minimize material shortages and stock outages.
- Meet with Suppliers seeking to establish relationship with the
firm; review materials presented and recommend whether the
vendor deserves further consideration.
- Participate in supplier visits, audits, and performance
management conference calls when necessary; in collaboration
with the Commodity Managers and Quality Assurance. Provide
feedback to support the Supplier Report Card, in order to
elevate or maintain corporate expectations of supplier’s
excellence in delivery.
- Populate an up-to-date system on pricing and Suppliers to
ensure immediate and accurate access to information in the ERP
- Participate in safety training and actively comply with safety
policies and practices.
- Improve and maintain 5S in your area; make suggestions for
- Participate in Lean/Six Sigma activities in own work area as
well as events for other areas to enhance cross-functional
- Support and address KPI matrix and report outs.
- Collaborate in team meetings and activities, including SET
team support as appropriate.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Minimum Job Qualifications
- Performs work of high complexity, critical thinking and
attention to detail with multi-level programs; Works in an
environment where continuous improvement methods are utilized to
manufacture quality products according to design specifications
and customer expectations.
: (The following qualifications can
be acquired and demonstrated through experience, education and/or
vocational training as noted or as appropriate.)
Certifications and License Requirements
- Experience/Education: Two to four (2-4) years of related experience in
material control and purchasing in a manufacturing
environment. Government procurement experience
preferred. Bachelor Degree in technical discipline
- Communication skills: ability to receive messages by
telephone, in person, electronically and in writing; ask
questions and rephrase statements to clarify meaning; ability to
read, interpret and comprehend complex written and verbal
instructions as well as technical publications; communicate
across organizational levels; ability to read and interpret a
Supplier’s quote and understand the appropriate steps that
need to be taken.; ability to communicate with quality,
integrity and respect in a way that inspires others and
encourages innovation and possibilities;
- Math skills: ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in
all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions and
decimals; ability to compute rate, ratio and percent and to draw
and interpret bar graphs.
- Computer skills: working in a networked environment
using a Windows and/or Windows like interface using Power Point,
Excel and Word software programs at an intermediate level;
Proficient in the use of Pivot tables and V and H Look ups;
ability to use Enterprise-wide (ERP and MRP) systems such as
- Analytical skills: review and compare data to identify
inconsistencies and determine priorities; Ability to interpret
an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical
or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete
- Time Management and Organizational skills: flexibility and
adaptability to changing priorities and assignments; ability to
- Excellence Behaviors: remain engaged, proactive
and positive even in tough circumstances; own assignments and be
fully accountable for their success; align actions, behaviors
and conversations to what matters most; bring out the best in
others and recognize the value in every person’s contributions.
- Certified Purchasing Manager (CPM); or
- Certified in Production and Inventory Management (CPIM); or
- The Institute for Supply Management (ISM), preferred.
All applicants must be a U.S Citizen or U.S Person as defined by
ITAR (a lawful permanent resident or someone who is a protected
individual as defined by 8 U.S.C.1324b(a)(3)). In order to be
eligible for positions requiring a Security Clearance, you must be a
Cobham is one of the world's leading companies engaged in the
development, delivery and support of leading-edge aerospace and
defense systems in the air, on land and at sea. Our clients and
partners trust Cobham to deliver the mission-critical technology
they need, and we trust our employees to draw on their ingenuity and
passion to deliver those solutions. This leads to an empowering
culture for our people. Our Leadership team is open, sharing plans
for the next five years, driving retention by offering demanding,
exciting work, and providing full guidance and mentoring.
Cobham is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and
embraces diversity in our employee population. It is the policy of
Cobham to provide equal opportunity to all qualified applicants and
employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual
orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability,
protected veteran status, or genetic information. Cobham will
refrain from discharging, or otherwise discriminating against,
employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose
their compensation or the compensation of other employees or