Cobham Aerospace Connectivity are looking for a Senior Electronics Engineer who has several years of relevant design experience and a breadth of understanding across other relevant engineering domains. They will work as a member of the Electronics Systems Group and will lead, or be part of a team responsible for new product development activities ranging from low level research to market driven and customer specific technology advancements. Tasks will include design, development, testing, verification and documentation of electronic assemblies with emphasis on strict adherence to procedural processes. A small amount of legacy product support and occasional off-bookings for strategic, training or process improvement purposes is expected.
The Senior Electronics Engineer will operate under minimal supervision and will be capable of delivering work packages within the prescribed bounds of schedule, cost and quality. The successful applicant will be required to provide inputs to assist in the preparation of technology development roadmaps and will foster a spirit of innovation and creativity within the wider team. The Senior Electronics Engineer will mentor and support the other members of the development team in order to assist their personal growth and improve the overall design capability of the function.
The successful candidate will have the opportunity to work in the dynamic aerospace industry and contribute to world beating technologies such as digital beam forming for GNSS and communications applications, radio, direction finding and logic translators for the control of antenna systems.
This role will be based in Marlow, Buckinghamshire
At Cobham Aerospace Connectivity, we design and manufacture active and passive avionics antennas and electronic control systems for military and civil communications, navigation and search and rescue applications. We pioneered frequency agile VHF tuneable antennas and continue to be a key supplier to major avionics companies. Our GNSS anti-jam technology utilises state of the art DSP algorithms with an active antenna to eliminate both narrow-band and wide-band jamming signals. We have world leading technology in Ground Penetrating Radar and RF interference mitigation. Both military and civil users rely on our direction finding systems for search and rescue operations.
As a Senior Electronics Engineer your skills and qualifications will ideally include demonstrable competence across a number of the following areas:
- Substantial experience in a relevant environment.
- Project team leadership.
- Development lifecycle management for both research and customer driven products.
- Analogue circuit design.
- Digital Hardware Design.
- Embedded Software / Firmware coding. Proven experience with main FPGA families (Altera, Xilinx) and the main DSP families (Analog Devices, TI, Freescale).
- Innovative approach and able to present new ideas to both customers and internal teams.
- Able to conduct low level, speculative research or follow structured development processes as required.
Demonstrable competence in the following areas would be considered an advantage:
- Experience with major FPGA families (Xilinx, Altera) and / or General Purpose DSP families (Analog Devices, TI, Freescale).
- Embedded programming experience (firmware and software).
- Digital Hardware Design.
- RF Hardware Design (up to 2GHz)
- Familiarity with PC-based software development languages such as Delphi and C++.
- Coding capability in MatLab or similar modelling package
- Use of Simulink or similar modelling tools
- DSP software / algorithm design
As a Senior Electronics Engineer your main responsibilities will involve:
- Leading and participating in development teams for the specification and design of new products from high level architectures through to implementation.
- Generation of high level architectures and progressing design through to implementation and production release.
- Provision of inputs for the generation of technical proposals, bid plans and estimates.
- Documentation of developments to the appropriate level in accordance with internal processes.
- Adherence to process and best practice.
- Support to the Chief Engineer in determining product road mapping and the strategic direction for technology and capability.
- Mentoring of junior engineering staff and growth of the technical capability of the team.
- Process and business improvements.
About Cobham plc
Cobham is a leading global technology and services innovator, respected for providing solutions to the greatest challenges, from deep space to the depths of the ocean.