Imagine a future - where Internet connectivity knows no boundaries. Do you want to join one of the leading manufacturers of communication and satellite equipment on a fantastic transformational journey?
Cobham SATCOM A/S is currently looking for a Mechanical Engineer. We are a global tele-communication company where the main purpose of our technology is to keep people safe and connected in the remotest areas both at land and at sea. Big tech companies trust us to help them bring Internet connectivity to remote communities, as we have what it takes to lead and deliver on the most ambitious communications projects. At Cobham SATCOM, our vision is to be the leader in remote connectivity, safeguarding and connecting people and ideas. This gives meaning to the work of our 500+ employees worldwide on an everyday basis. For passionate people looking for autonomy and exciting career opportunities, Cobham SATCOM truly has something special inside.
If you are passionate about mechanical design, especially appliance product development in plastic and aluminium, and enjoy a collaborative work environment with highly specialized colleagues - this could be the right position for you.
You will join a global team of 25 highly skilled colleagues located in Aalborg, Kgs. Lyngby and Concord in California. The mechanical team is responsible for all mechanical parts in our L-Band & Safety, VSAT and Tracker products where you will mainly address development related to L-Band and RadioCom products.
In this exciting new role, you will be a part of the full product development lifecycle from early conceptual stage planning, parts implementation, documentation and supplier contact followed by test and type approval for our new Yahsat bid win. Yahsat has selected Cobham SATCOM to deliver a mobile broadband system, including ground infrastructure and products, to operate as part of its next-generation Thuraya 4-NGS system.
This role can be based in either Aalborg or Kgs. Lyngby, Denmark.
As a Mechanical Engineer for appliance product development, your key responsibilities will be:
- Product and parts design, primarily die cast aluminium parts and injection mould plastic parts.
- Providing input to the project plans including reporting.
- Close interaction with other engineering disciplines – HW, SW, NPI, etc.
- Product documentation and assembly instructions.
- Documentation of mechanical parts.
- Collaboration with suppliers during tooling - & DFM process and running production in Asia.
- Test and validation against requirements.
- Dialogue with notified bodies during the type approval process.
- Be a review participant on your own and your colleagues' projects.
- Mechanical support in connection to running production with reference to the Sustaining Department.
As a Mechanical Design Engineer, your qualifications should ideally be:
- You have a mechanical engineering background with 3 to 10 years of experience in mechanical design.
- You are familiar with outdoor product design in relation to corrosion, UV exposure, IP enclosure ratings, vibration & shock, thermal/cooling design, etc.
- You are familiar in terms of working with ODM (Original Design Manufacturer) partners.
- You are used to working with EMS (Electronics Manufacturing Service) providers and supporting running production.
- You are knowledgeable within several of the following disciplines: DFX (Design for Excellence), process capability analysis for Six Sigma and GD&T (Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing).
- You have a wide knowledge of aluminium alloys, plastic polymers and sheet metal materials.
- You are familiar with various types of conversion coating and paint systems.
- You have good IT skills and are an experienced user of 3D CAD & FEA tools (we're currently using Catia and Creo modelling tools but will be switching to SolidWorks + HyperWorks for simulation).
- Fluent in written and spoken English. Danish language is a great advantage but not required.
You take pride in delivering to the right quality and on time. You enjoy being part of a team where knowledge-sharing and exchange of ideas are a natural part of your performance culture. You have an innovative mindset and are a strong communicator with both internal and external stakeholders.
Starting your career at Cobham SATCOM means that you will be surrounded by peers who are experts in their field where you can learn from the best and gain relevant skills to adapt to this continuously changing world. Being part of Cobham SATCOM opens up opportunities for you to gain both professional and personal development in our performance-oriented environment, where social interactions are highly valued. You will become part of a diverse organization on a transformational journey, where no two days are the same, working in a culturally diverse organization where both performance and fun are key elements. You will become part of a company where you will work together with talented, helpful and fun colleagues who value teamwork and integrity.
Besides a competitive salary package, we care about our employees and offer a lunch canteen, social events and societies (wine tasting, art club, Friday bar, music band), sport clubs (skiing, cycling, adventure race, badminton), paid fulltime health and accident insurance and a well-equipped fitness room. But, most importantly, we care about you becoming one of us.
Please be advised that successful candidates must be willing to present a criminal record check and go through our mandatory security clearance prior to commencing employment with Cobham SATCOM.
Cobham SATCOM is an affirmative action and an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, colour, religion, sex, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status or genetic information.
About Cobham SATCOM:
At Cobham SATCOM, we create, develop, innovate, and share the responsibility to fulfil our potential – both on a company and individual basis. We believe our culture of being highly innovated, our ability to continuously adapt to change, our capability to plan disciplined in connection to the demands and to foster a fun and inspiring work environment empowers us to achieve our ambitions. Join us and become part of bringing our inspiring projects to life. When connection matters, you can count on Cobham SATCOM. It will be an exciting and rewarding journey so if you are up to the challenge, we hope to hear from you.