Cobham Advanced Electronic Solutions is seeking a General Manager to lead our Long Island, NY sites, and to drive operational leadership, customer engagement and profitable growth for the business. This is expected to be accomplished through effective development and execution on thoughtful business strategies and a strong commitment to talent and organizational development. The General Manager will build on the base strengths of the business to accelerate growth. This role is responsible for the profit and loss (P&L) of the Long Island business areas and will provide leadership to all functions.
- Complete P&L responsibility of the Long Island sites’ domiciled business areas, including forecasting and achievement; lead, direct, and coordinate business area activities to achieve and increase sales, obtain optimum efficiency and leverage economy of operations to deliver exceptional customer results and maximize profits.
- Manage, meet and exceed customer expectations by building enduring customer relationships.
- Participate in Business Unit (BU) strategic planning activities and implement actions at the site level.
- Expand business by creating and/or supporting new ideas by building and motivating teams to realize strategic growth goals that are aligned with the overall BU vision.
- Collaborates with the business to define organization and people strategies that effectively support the business strategy and deliver results.
- In partnership with peer functional leadership, provide leadership and strategic planning to ensure a high-performing culture: Coordinate and prepare strategic and tactical business plans in concert with the goals of the BU and Sector, including all revenue and bookings targets, operational budgets, and criteria for monitoring program progress and measuring success.
- Lead long-range and short-range resource planning to achieve financial commitments and address critical workforce capabilities.
- Execute on deliverables of the BU Long Range Strategic Plan (LRSP) for the Business Areas within the Long Island sites.
- Advocate for the operation of safe and healthy workplaces for employees and the community by serving at the Long Island sites’ sponsor of all S|H|E (Safety, Health and Environmental) policies and practices.
- Ensure compliance with relevant Federal, State, Local and International regulations as well as operational compliance with CAES and Cobham policies and procedures.
Attributes for success:
- Coach, guide and direct the activities of business area leads within the Long Island sites.
- Develop a continuous improvement (CI) culture to deliver year-on-year profitability and revenue improvements. Broaden CI into business processes in order to optimize and change current ways of operating.
- Operate with the highest level of integrity and ethical behavior and ensure all employees within the sites do so as well.
- Foster Business Areas to develop new business and expand the existing product lines with our customers.
- Extensive coordination with executive management. Will serve as a member of the BU Leadership Team. Partner with Functional Leaders; Sales, Finance, HR, etc. to develop shared goals that support the LRSP and business objectives, initiatives and directives.
- Provide recruitment, hiring, and direction for all sites’ functions, including the Business Areas / Engineering / Quality / Program Management / Operations staff. Review staffing plans business needs and staffing recommendations.
- Review and approve all significant technical and cost proposals, including all staffing plans, financial transactions and contractual decisions, in close collaboration with the relevant functional and BU leaders.
- Proven communication skills with a demonstrated capacity to effectively communicate complex ideas and business concepts.
- Advocate and champion company initiatives and directives, in efforts to improve work relationships, build morale, increase productivity and retention.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Engineering, or related field of study.
- 15+ years of impactful senior business management leadership experience, including as a General Manager, exhibited by a well-developed strategic thinking ability.
- Proven track record in achieving objectives with complex production programs in a government contracting environment in technology, manufacturing, or aerospace and defense industries. Proven success in driving improvements in cost, productivity, quality processes, and on-time delivery.
- Strong understanding of P&L and the various influences in a manufacturing environment; prior demonstrated track record of P&L success in significant sized business.
- Demonstrated ability to understand and listen to the voice of the customer, and proven initiative to effect positive change.
- Finely honed customer relation skills relating to senior levels of customer organizations.
- Proven and successful experience in influencing "positive change" management, creating and/or supporting new ideas and motivating teams to realize strategic growth goals.
- Strong financial acumen to maximize revenue/profit achievements through demonstrated and solid understanding of profit and loss, and pricing.
- Experience in working seamlessly across all levels of an organization, including leading cross-functional teams in a matrixed environment.
- Experience in reporting and analysis, process improvement, leadership training and development, team and project management.
- Strong analytical, organizational and managerial skills; strong interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills.
- Advanced operations problem solving ability, with ability to understand complex concepts of factory loading, quality, inventory management, and factory scheduling.
- In order to be considered for this opportunity, you must be eligible to obtain and maintain a security clearance, which requires USA Citizenship.
- Travel up to 25% will be required.
- Master’s or MBA degree preferred.
- Defense/Aerospace or related industry experience preferred.
Cobham is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and embraces diversity in our employee population. It is the policy of Cobham to provide equal opportunity to all qualified applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, or genetic information. Cobham will refrain from discharging, or otherwise discriminating against, employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants.