Principal Mechanical Engineer
This individual will work as a Principal Mechanical Engineer on the Precision Gimbal (Integrated Assembly) engineering team supporting the development and production of precision positioning systems. As a principal engineer, you will lead project teams consisting of various design and engineering staff, and are required to oversee the design, integration, test and production of products while interfacing with a wide range of disciplines, including program management, systems, electrical, software and manufacturing engineering and operations, as well as acting as technical interface with our customers. The individual will also have a proven track record in concept generation, trade studies, and meeting hardware unit cost and program budget and schedule objectives. The candidate will demonstration ownership of their work, and be committed to making the team, product and program successful.
- Lead Design & Development Projects. Responsible for achievement of schedule, cost and technical requirements. Direct and supervise the work of lower level engineers, designers, and support personnel as assigned. Take ownership and responsibility for the product design. Facilitate design reviews and customer/supplier interactions as required.
- Conduct Product Design & Development. Interpret system specifications and reduce to mechanical design requirements. Flow down and track design requirements, including technical and cost related goals. Create conceptual designs, assess risks, conduct design trade studies, and develop cost effective products that meet the program requirements for packaging systems in airborne, shipboard and ground-based environments. Generate and present design review packages for internal and external audiences.
- Perform Planning and Reporting. Formulate a design plan or work from technical objectives and overall schedules as specified by senior project staff. As Lead Mechanical Engineer, act as Cost Account Manager (CAM) on large to moderate size projects, with responsiblity for achievement of schedule, fiscal and performance objectives. Report progress at weekly meetings and internal/customer design reviews as required. Coordinate work activities with other groups.
- Perform Mechanical Analyses. Perform analyses and computer simulations of complex electro-mechanical systems, structural components or functional systems. Solve problems requiring a broad knowledge of thermal and structural principles. Develop comprehensive trade-studies that are reviewed by both senior program staff and external customers.
- Direct Fabrication and Test of Hardware. Develop test plans and direct the fabrication of prototypes. Conduct or direct sub-system mechanical testing to validate compliance to system requirements. Provide technical direction to supporting personnel to resolve design and related manufacturing problems. Ensure producibility of designs. Support the planning an execution of environmental testing of hardware including: vibration, shock, thermal, fatigue and other testing as required.
- Demonstrate Continuous Improvement. Adhere to site Quality System guidelines, and demonstrate compliance to the Mechanical Design Process. Lead efforts to improve the process and work to meet engineering objectives. Maintain knowledge in areas of specialization and is cognizant of developments in other related fields.
- Support Proposal Development. Lead in the preparation and compilation of technical proposals. Use experience to baseline conceptual designs during the proposal effort, solicit input from assigned technical staff.
- Perform Other Duties. Attend conferences and meetings representing CAES mechanical engineering community. Assignments may include research and development of new techniques and materials as a result of independent study. Support production build activities as needed, Perform other duties and responsibilities as required.
- Travel Required. Approximately 25%, but can vary based on short-term assignments.
- Software Experience. The candidate would be proficient in Solidworks 2017 3D and 2D CAD software, or equivalent. Use of ANSYS Mechanical FEM software usage preferred.
- 10+ years of mechanical design experience in the MIL/Aero industry
- Experience in design for harsh environments
- Experience working with multiple engineering disciplines, and has capability to provide hands-on operational support
- Potentially have a background in robotics.
- Candidate must have capability to obtain a Secret Level security clearance.
Cobham's values of Trust, Talent and Technology have driven us from our launch in 1934 by Sir Alan Cobham, an aviation innovator, to becoming a global leader in state-of-the-art aerospace and defense systems. And it’s the insights of our innovators today that will secure our collective future. Innovators like you.
Cobham is one of the world's leading companies engaged in the development, delivery and support of leading-edge aerospace and defense systems in the air, on land and at sea. Our clients and partners trust Cobham to deliver the mission-critical technology they need, and we trust our employees to draw on their ingenuity and passion to deliver those solutions. This leads to an empowering culture for our people. Our Leadership team is open, sharing plans for the next five years, driving retention by offering demanding, exciting work, and providing full guidance and mentoring.
Cobham is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and embraces diversity in our employee population. It is the policy of Cobham to provide equal opportunity to all qualified applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, or genetic information. Cobham will refrain from discharging, or otherwise discriminating against, employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants.