Cobham Mission Systems are looking for a Test Equipment Project Engineer to be responsible for the design of test equipment to support the development of aerospace mission specific equipment, such as Air to Air Refuelling (AAR) equipment and Auxiliary Mission Equipment (such as aircraft weapon carriage and, refuelling probes). This role is based in Wimborne, Dorset.
The test equipment many include simple mechanical / structural fixtures, hydraulic, pneumatic and fuel systems, power and instrumentation test cables, as well as more complex fuel, hydraulic and pneumatic systems, motor drive systems, braking systems, control systems and data acquisition systems.
The successful candidate will work as part of a newly formed team of engineers who will work with the development and test engineers to capture the test equipment requirements and propose design solutions to enable detailed designs and technical construction files to be created. The work will also include the whole life cycle management of the test support equipment, including procurement, test / verification, logistics support and subsequent maintenance and calibration.
As a Test Equipment Project Engineer your skills and qualifications will ideally include:
· Preferably BEng (or HNC/D depending on experience) in Electro Mechanical Engineering
· Experience in both electrical and mechanical (including pneumatic and hydraulic systems) design
· Hydraulic systems engineer
· Previous experience in a Project / Design Engineer role
· Broad knowledge and expertise in Engineering
· Knowledge of modern design and development techniques and best practise
· A creative approach for generating new ideas and design concepts
· Sound knowledge of MS Office software packages (Word, Excel, Powerpoint etc)
· Ability to produce work to a consistently high standard within tight deadlines
· Ability to work effectively on your own, prioritise and manage a diverse a busy workload
· Ability to produce ROM and detailed estimates for test equipment projects
As a Test Equipment Project Engineer your main responsibilities will involve:
· To work with development / qualification test engineers to capture test rig requirements and turn them into test rigs with a complete documentation pack.
· To develop practical and innovative concepts, and work with designers to turn them into detailed manufacturing part drawings and assembly drawings. Carry out basic mechanical and electrical analysis to confirm design margins and component selection.
· Work on assigned tasks and projects to confirm requirements, produce specifications, agree internally, support cost models and work with colleagues and suppliers to deliver the correct solution in the required time frame.
· To be able to develop concept solutions and present them to the project team to show compliance with the agreed requirements, along with a cost / project plan.
· To support the generation of general assembly, detailed drawings and Bill of Materials ensuring that they are to an acceptable standard to enable manufacturing.
· Commissioning Engineers
· Be responsible for carrying out any test / compliance activities to prove that test equipment meets its requirements (including any formal compliance testing for CE marking, Risk Assessments, and production of operating manuals (including special calibration and maintenance procedures).
· Be responsible for ensuring the amendment of existing test rigs is kept under control using a change management system applicable to test equipment.
· Be responsible for collating / producing the Technical Construction Files for all test rigs, which could include General Test Rig Description, Engineering Drawings (Electrical, Mechanical, Pneumatic, Hydraulic, Risk Assessment, Applicable Directives, Test Reports (external / Internal), Manuals, (Operating, Maintenance, Installation), Declaration of Conformity, (Copy of Nameplate, Warning Signs), Bill of Materials / Parts List (including Certificates of Conformity)
· Provide support to the Test Equipment and Facilities Engineering Manager on the development of an efficient test equipment development processes and procedures (including process improvement and continuous development).
About Cobham Mission Systems
The most capable critical control solutions for extreme environments.
As the world’s leading supplier of critical control solutions, we help our customers to increase the safety and mission capabilities of their personnel and equipment in extreme environments.
Our proven and trusted solutions in air-to-air refuelling, life support, weapons carriage and unmanned systems, deliver assured performance and class-leading through-life costs that enable our customers to bring complex projects to market quickly, and with minimal risk.
About Cobham plc
Cobham is a leading global technology and services innovator, respected for providing solutions to the greatest challenges, from deep space to the depths of the ocean.
Click here to find out more about us and or check out our LinkedIn company page