Cobham Electronic Systems, in San Diego, CA is currently seeking a Continuous Improvement Engineer I working dayshift Monday through Friday on a 9/80 schedule. This position reports to the Director, Continuous Improvement.
Role will entail working with employees on improvement projects, as a facilitator, teacher, or in support with analyzing data, creating visual management aids, creating standard work, aiding engineers and management in root cause problem solving, and creating value stream maps.
Lead Root Cause Problem Solving projects (with A3 format) to improve site metrics and drive cost down in all areas of the business.
Assist in day-to-day activities supporting Key Performance Indicator data gathering and reporting to management, weekly management GEMBA reporting, Monthly Operations Report, Quarterly Performance Reviews and facilitation.
Coordinating projects with various manufacturing and support groups, extracting and analyzing data, and preparing PowerPoint presentations.
Lead improvement projects in the manufacturing area, performing Kaizen.
Other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM JOB QUALIFICATIONS:
- Zero (0) to one (1) year experience. Previous Continuous Improvement Experience Preferred.
- Communication skills: ability to receive messages by telephone, in person, electronically and in writing; ask questions and rephrase statements to clarify meaning; ability to read, interpret and comprehend complex written and verbal instructions; communicate across organizational levels; ability to read, analyze and interpret professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations; ability to write reports, business correspondence and procedure manuals; ability to speak effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients and customers and the general public; ability to communicate with quality, integrity and respect in a way that inspires others and encourages innovation and possibilities; technical writing skills to document test requirements and prepare concise technical reports;
- Math skills: ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions and decimals; ability to compute statistics, rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs;
- Analytical skills: review and compare data to identify inconsistencies; ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations; ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form;
- Computer skills: working in a networked environment using a Windows and/or Windows like interface using Power Point, Excel and Word software programs; working knowledge of Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) system such as SAP or Oracle. CAD experience preferred. Working knowledge of Relational Database concepts and SQL. Have advanced Excel skills and experience with VBA to facilitate working with large amounts of imported data from various sources. Experience with programming concepts preferred.
- Time Management and organizational skills: flexibility and adaptability to changing priorities and assignments; ability to maintain confidentiality; ability to manage time effectively to ensure deadlines are met.
- Excellence Behaviors: remain engaged, proactive and positive even in tough circumstances; own assignments and be fully accountable for their success; align actions, behaviors and conversations to what matters most; bring out the best in others and recognize the value in every person’s contributions; ability to work independently being proactive to resolve work issues or notify supervisor of resources needed; ability to coordinate with other employees and as part of a team.
EDUCATION AND SECURITY REQUIREMENTS:
- BA/BS degree in materials, mechanical or electrical engineering is required.
Hired employees are required to provide proof of either US Citizenship or Permanent US Residency. This position requires access to technology, materials, software or hardware that is controlled by export laws of the US.
- Ability to obtain a Security Clearance.
Cobham's values of Trust, Talent and Technology have driven us from our launch in 1934 by Sir Alan Cobham, an aviation innovator, to becoming a global leader in state-of-the-art aerospace and defense systems. And it’s the insights of our innovators today that will secure our collective future. Innovators like you.
Cobham is one of the world's leading companies engaged in the development, delivery and support of leading-edge aerospace and defense systems in the air, on land and at sea. Our clients and partners trust Cobham to deliver the mission-critical technology they need, and we trust our employees to draw on their ingenuity and passion to deliver those solutions. This leads to an empowering culture for our people. Our Leadership team is open, sharing plans for the next five years, driving retention by offering demanding, exciting work, and providing full guidance and mentoring.
Cobham is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and embraces diversity in our employee population. It is the policy of Cobham to provide equal opportunity to all qualified applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, or genetic information. Cobham will refrain from discharging, or otherwise discriminating against, employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants.