Senior Mechanical Engineer
ROLE SUMMARY: To perform professional technical work which is complex in nature and requires in-depth knowledge and diversified application of mechanical engineering principles, theories, concepts, practices and techniques generally used to solve problems within a defined field of technology.
- Create and Develop Product Designs. Create and develop mechanical designs, including complex RF and digital subsystems for the development of electronic equipment systems. In addition the candidate will need to have experience with the design of low and high frequency antennas for military applications. Coordinate and disseminate the work of other engineers, designers, and support personnel as assigned. Lead design efforts; be responsible for achievement of schedule, fiscal and technical performance objectives. Candidates must be proficient with the CREO2 CAD package for the generation and conveyance of their design concepts; SolidWorks is not required but a plus
- Perform Mechanical Analyses. Analyze mechanical components and subsystems using both simple and more advanced programs such as ANSYS. Performs kinematics, dynamic, heat transfer and/or vibration analyses on complex materials, structural components or functional systems. Perform trade studies and document results for presentation to senior program staff.
- Direct Fabrication and Test of Hardware. Develop mechanical test plans and direct the fabrication of prototypes when needed. Conduct testing of complex systems, generate design solutions and solve manufacturing problems. Coordinate product transition to manufacturing as required.
- Document the Product Development. Generate, review and approve written reports supporting the design, analyses, and test of the product design including drawings, engineering specifications, and other associated documentation. Report on project status and progress measured against specific plans. Prepare design review packages and present data to both internal and external customers.
- Implement Continuous Improvement. Implement the Mechanical Design Process in work plans, and adhere to the Cobham Quality System. Provide feedback to improve the process, and work to meet engineering objectives. Maintain up-to-date knowledge of developments in the mechanical engineering disciplines. Ensure cost effectiveness and manufacturability of design.
- Perform Other Duties. Coordinate and direct the work efforts of other engineers and support personnel, if assigned. Assignments may include development of new techniques as a result of independent study, materials development and support of proposal efforts. Perform other duties and responsibilities as required.
- Requires a Bachelor's Degree in Mechanical Engineering from an accredited college or university and a minimum of six (6) years’ work experience; or a Master's Degree and three (5) years’ experience.
- Must be able to obtain a Secret Clearance.
- Candidates must be proficient with the CREO2 CAD Software utilized in conceptual design and subsequent documentation generation.
- Candidates must have experience with finite element applications. ANSYS is preferred.
- Experience with the design and packaging of military electronics and antennas is required.
Cobham's values of Trust, Talent and Technology have driven us from our launch in 1934 by Sir Alan Cobham, an aviation innovator, to becoming a global leader in state-of-the-art aerospace and defense systems. And it’s the insights of our innovators today that will secure our collective future. Innovators like you.
Cobham is one of the world's leading companies engaged in the development, delivery and support of leading-edge aerospace and defense systems in the air, on land and at sea. Our clients and partners trust Cobham to deliver the mission-critical technology they need, and we trust our employees to draw on their ingenuity and passion to deliver those solutions. This leads to an empowering culture for our people. Our Leadership team is open, sharing plans for the next five years, driving retention by offering demanding, exciting work, and providing full guidance and mentoring.
Cobham is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and embraces diversity in our employee population. It is the policy of Cobham to provide equal opportunity to all qualified applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, or genetic information. Cobham will refrain from discharging, or otherwise discriminating against, employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants.