Cobham's values of Trust, Talent and Technology have driven us from our launch in 1934 by Sir Alan Cobham, an aviation innovator, to becoming a global leader in state-of-the-art aerospace and defense systems. And it’s the insights of our innovators today that will secure our collective future. Innovators like you.
Cobham is one of the world's leading companies engaged in the development, delivery and support of leading-edge aerospace and defense systems in the air, on land and at sea. Our clients and partners trust Cobham to deliver the mission-critical technology they need, and we trust our employees to draw on their ingenuity and passion to deliver those solutions. This leads to an empowering culture for our people. Our Leadership team is open, sharing plans for the next five years, driving retention by offering demanding, exciting work, and providing full guidance and mentoring.
Positioned as the primary technical support interface between the customer and factory, the Applications Engineer is responsible for absorbing the technical details associated products and articulating those technical details to the customer base at large. To disseminate these technical details, the Applications Engineer will generate technical literature in the form of Datasheets, User’s Manuals, Applications Notes, White Papers, Design Examples, Product Advisories and Product Erratum. In addition to technical literature, the Application Engineer is expected to provide real-time answers to customer technical questions received via phone or e-mail, and will periodically deliver technical training in person or over the internet. The final result is a convenient, single-point, source of technical information centered on each standard product solution offered by Aeroflex to its customers. The candidate should have hands-on experience with some/similar devices within the Standard Product Portfolio, as a user or a supplier of such devices, including MicroProcessors/Controllers, Memories, Interconnect, Logic, and Clocks as well as Systems Level Knowledge.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- On a daily basis, the Applications Engineer provides answers to customer questions regarding specific products. Answers are delivered via e-mail, telephone discussions, referral to published documentation, and/or the generation/revision of technical literature to directly answer a customer’s question. The Application Engineer ensures that all documentation especially datasheets are up to date.
- Troubleshoot customer issues and any product anomalies with whatever method and means are practical toward solving the problem, including internal investigation into the circuitry by way of schematic review and, if possible, simulation, working with Manufacturing Test Engineers to obtain insight on production testing and component behavior/characterization, as well as other disciplines (Quality, Reliability, Radiation, etc.) as needed. If these methods do not identify a root cause to the problem, the troubleshooting process will evolve into lab evaluation and potential travel to the customer site to debug the customer’s issue(s).
- Utilize the Standard Product Organization Technical Support System (electronic ticket based system) for entering/addressing technical questions, while looking for trends in questions that can lead to ideas for collateral material (updates/improvements on existing material, new application notes/white papers, frequently asked questions, etc.).
- Engage heavily with customers to understand their concerns/support requirements and work with Field Application Engineers to secure design-ins.
- Participate in product development meetings to support the Product Development Team (PDT) as it works to bring this new product to market, as applicable/appropriate. The Application Engineer participates in the PDT as a “champion” of the product and represents the customer’s interest in the development of new products. As a member of the PDT, the Application Engineer is expected to ensure that the product being designed will satisfy the customer’s needs and wants, while simultaneously translating the technical limitations and functional capabilities of the new product to the Field Application Engineers, to ensure that an accurate representation of the product is presented to the industry. Throughout the product development process, the Applications Engineer will publish the technical literature and support documentation that will stand as the first level of technical product support. It is also expected that the Applications Engineer will take the lead in developing evaluation hardware for new products and validation of first silicon as well as schematic symbols, footprints and other models where applicable.
- Support live demonstrations of product applications in hardware and/or software, as applicable.
- Develop competitive analyses to be shared with Field Application Engineers and improve upon collateral material, such as Executive Overviews and Detailed Presentations.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Engage in new product planning utilizing gained knowledge from customer interactions and industry trends including obtaining Voice of the Customer.
- Support radiation test plans for new products including setup and assistance, data mining and potential travel to support test sessions.
- As appropriate, participate in strategy meetings and technical committees regarding future products and technology roadmaps.
- Develop Technical Training material to train the Product Marketing and Field Sales organizations on the technical merits of products which will allow them to identify target markets and customers, as well as have the collateral tools and information in hand to effectively compete in those markets.
- Engage with the operations side of the product development and manufacturing process in an effort to help resolve issues in product test and order fulfillment, as necessary.
- Occasional travel (10-15%), in support of customer issues as well as attending industry conferences.
- The Applications Engineer is a constant contact for customers and must be a reliable technical resource. Must be able to use tact and patience when interacting with customers.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering (BSEE) from a four-year college or university and five to twelve years of related experience and/or training is required, dependent on the specific AE role.
- Other degrees that could be applicable could be Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Computer Engineering (BSCE), Systems Engineering, or Physics/Radiation Assurance.
BUDGETING AND FISCAL RESPONSIBILITIES
- The application engineer is responsible for identifying and recommending capital expense items and tools which are necessary to support products. Some of these items may include a recurring annual maintenance fee which must be kept current. In these cases, it is the responsibility of the Applications Engineer to keep the appropriate supervisor or Business Area Manager apprised of the amount and timing of the expenditures.
- The Applications Engineer must be familiar with the personal computer running the Microsoft Windows operating system and the Microsoft Office Suite of business products.
- Experience with circuit board design tools like Cadence OrCad Capture, hardware description languages such as ABEL-HDL, Verilog, and VHDL is also preferred.
- Some experience with software, such as C/C++ programming, simulation software and assembly language programming desirable.
Cobham is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and embraces diversity in our employee population. It is the policy of Cobham to provide equal opportunity to all qualified applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, or genetic information. Cobham will refrain from discharging, or otherwise discriminating against, employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants
Cobham positions require use of information which is subject to the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR). All accepted applicants must be U.S. Persons as defined by ITAR. ITAR defines a U.S. Person as U.S. Citizen, U.S. Permanent Resident (i.e. “Green Card Holder”) Political Asylee, or Refugee.