Position involves collaborating across multiple departments, planning, scheduling and monitoring the movement of materials through the production cycle to determine required materials purchases. Scope includes obtaining materials using engineering and production schedules to maintain inventory at planned levels (“just-in-time purchases, use of economic order quantities), resolving discrepancies, ensuring material standards are met and non-conformances or variances are approved and/or minimized, gathering quotations, examining bids and making awards, evaluating Supplier reliability and developing new supply sources where competition doesn’t currently exist. Requires an ability to build positive relationships with key Suppliers while leveraging these relationships to improve Supplier quality, costs, service, and preserve Department of Defense (DOD) certification.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS and DUTIES:
- Determine material requirements and schedule the ordering thereof; source, negotiate and execute awards for direct material, indirect material and capital equipment at the best value to the organization and on a timely basis to support production schedule.
- Monitor the addition of new customer requirements and work to ensure timely release of purchase requisition to provide program support.
- Evaluate current programs to verify that they are being fully supported by evaluating ERP signals, EML and quality issues.
- Flag production impacts and escalate resolution through appropriate support and management personnel; communicate program impact to appropriate departments.
- Create purchase requisitions and purchase orders for accuracy and conformance with established policies and procedures.
- Obtain oral and/or written quotations from Suppliers; document competitive bidding.
- Expedite purchase orders if necessary; notify department of the expected delivery date and follow up on back orders.
- Negotiate and execute semi-critical, fairly complex, medium value awards; manage price increase situations and cost improvement initiatives with the team; drive all elements of the procurement process with Suppliers resulting in the best value for Cobham.
- Interface with external suppliers and internal clients including Value Stream, Manufacturing and Engineering.
- Produce material status reports for program reviews and performance base payments as required by program management.
- Negotiate and execute purchase orders and/or contracts; follow-up and expedite late and pending orders; resolve receiving discrepancies; coordinate Return to Vendor (RTV) and reconcile finance issues (incorrect invoices).
- Search out alternate Suppliers to establish competition and to help minimize material shortages and stock outages.
- Meet with Suppliers seeking to establish relationship with the firm; review materials presented and recommend whether the vendor deserves further consideration.
- Populate an up-to-date system on pricing and Suppliers to ensure immediate and accurate access to information in the ERP system.
- Participate in supplier visits, audits, and performance management conference calls when necessary; in collaboration with the Commodity Managers and Quality Assurance. Provide feedback to support the Supplier Report Card, in order to elevate or maintain corporate expectations of supplier’s excellence in delivery.
- Participate in safety training and actively comply with safety policies and practices.
- Improve and maintain 5S in your area; make suggestions for improvements.
- Participate in Lean/Six Sigma activities in own work area as well as events for other areas to enhance cross-functional problem solving.
- Support and address KPI matrix and report outs.
- Collaborate in team meetings and activities, including SET team support as appropriate.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Performs work of some complexity, involving some critical thinking with attention to detail with multi-level programs; Works in an environment where continuous improvement methods are utilized to manufacture quality products according to design specifications and customer expectations.
MINIMUM JOB QUALIFICATIONS:
- Three (3) years of experience in material control and purchasing in a manufacturing environment.
- Bachelor Degree in a related discipline
- Communication skills: ability to receive messages by telephone, in person, electronically and in writing; ask questions and rephrase statements to clarify meaning; ability to read, interpret and comprehend complex written and verbal instructions as well as technical publications; communicate across organizational levels; ability to read and interpret a Supplier’s quote and understand the appropriate steps that need to be taken.; ability to communicate with quality, integrity and respect in a way that inspires others and encourages innovation and possibilities;
- Math skills: ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions and decimals; ability to compute rate, ratio and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
- Computer skills: working in a networked environment using a Windows and/or Windows like interface using Power Point, Excel and Word software programs at an intermediate level; Proficient in the use of Pivot tables and V and H Look ups; ability to use Enterprise-wide (ERP and MRP) systems.
- Analytical skills: review and compare data to identify inconsistencies and determine priorities; Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
- Time Management and Organizational skills: flexibility and adaptability to changing priorities and assignments; ability to maintain confidentiality;
- Excellence Behaviors: remain engaged, proactive and positive even in tough circumstances; own assignments and be fully accountable for their success; align actions, behaviors and conversations to what matters most; bring out the best in others and recognize the value in every person’s contributions.
- Must be a US Citizen
- Bachelor's Degree in Supply Chain, Business, or any other Science/Mathematics field
- One (1) years’ experience in Supply Chain as a Buyer
- Certified Purchasing Manager (CPM); or Certified in Production and Inventory Management (CPIM); or The Institute for Supply Management (ISM), preferred Experience in aerospace, defense or government contracting industry
- Government procurement experience preferred.
- Experience in procuring services as well as materials
- Oracle ERP
Cobham's values of Trust, Talent and Technology have driven us from our launch in 1934 by Sir Alan Cobham, an aviation innovator, to becoming a global leader in state-of-the-art aerospace and defense systems. And it’s the insights of our innovators today that will secure our collective future. Innovators like you.
Cobham is one of the world's leading companies engaged in the development, delivery and support of leading-edge aerospace and defense systems in the air, on land and at sea. Our clients and partners trust Cobham to deliver the mission-critical technology they need, and we trust our employees to draw on their ingenuity and passion to deliver those solutions. This leads to an empowering culture for our people. Our Leadership team is open, sharing plans for the next five years, driving retention by offering demanding, exciting work, and providing full guidance and mentoring.
Cobham is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and embraces diversity in our employee population. It is the policy of Cobham to provide equal opportunity to all qualified applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, or genetic information. Cobham will refrain from discharging, or otherwise discriminating against, employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants.