Cobham is seeking a Senior Principal Antenna Engineer to join the team in Lansdale, PA, to conduct engineering research, analysis and design activities in the development of antenna products related to electronic warfare, radar, phased arrays, communications, and navigation systems at frequencies ranging from radio through millimeter wave. Our antenna components are the result of collaboration across many engineering disciplines including: Mechanical, Electrical, Systems, Manufacturing, Hardware, and Firmware/Software Engineering.
The primary responsibility for this position is to: lead major antenna projects, make unique individual technical contributions, and to perform research, staff and consulting assignments of a professional technical nature, where highly diversified knowledge of engineering principles, theories, concepts, precedents and practices are necessary to successfully accomplish general goals and objectives. This includes the conceptual design and development of microwave Antenna and Antenna Systems, antenna design and simulation, prototype hardware manufacturing and performance evaluation, project coordination through final mechanical & manufacturing documentation, configuration release, qualification & verification testing and certification and production release. The responsibilities also include support to Business Development on bid and proposal efforts and private venture activities.
· Plans, schedules, and leads major projects or makes unique individual technical contributions where extensive and diversified knowledge of engineering principles is necessary.
· Conducts research in areas that require extensive expertise and knowledge in areas of antennas, electromagnetic theory, and related fields.
· Serves as organization consultant to division and group management and customers on advanced technical research problems, studies and applications.
· Evaluates plans and criteria for a variety of technical activities and recommends alternatives as required to comply with customer and company obligations.
· Receives assignments in terms of broadly stated engineering problems or objectives; formulates own plans; has considerable freedom of action in the execution of assignment and reports progress at intervals.
· Determines specific problems; establishes technical approach, selects and pursues courses of action necessary to explore subject area and obtain required results; aids in developing systems philosophy and design objectives; and may lead major segments of large proposals.
· Develops new techniques and approaches to be employed in solving problems.
· Reviews and coordinates work of assistants to ensure progress is maintained to achieve specified aims; interprets and directs the preparation of data for reports on technical findings, recommendations, accomplishments and progress measured against specific plans.
· Maintains knowledge in areas of specialization and all related fields. May represent company at technical forums and meetings or publish in technical and scientific journals
· Attends conferences and meetings to represent assigned activity.
· Performs special assignments as required.
· Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering.
· Twelve (12) + years’ experience in Antenna Theory, Microwave/RF Engineering and antenna product development.
· Minimum of 1+ years’ of experience in Microwave Antenna Design including Phased Arrays, Multi-element apertures, linear, dual linear, and circular polarized antennas, horns, printed circuit spirals, coaxial and strip line antenna radiators.
· Minimum of 1+ years’ of experience in electromagnetic simulation tool ANSYS HFSS, MATLAB analysis and basic programming and MS Office (Word, Excel, Project & PowerPoint).
· In order to be considered for this opportunity, you must be eligible to obtain and maintain security clearance, which requires USA Citizenship.
· Master’s degree and ten years’ experience or PhD with seven years’ experience in Antenna Theory, Microwave/RF Engineering and antenna product development.
· Possess and apply knowledge of cutting edge technical principles, theories, concepts and technologies. Sufficient knowledge to exhibit an exceptional degree of ingenuity, creativity and resourcefulness.
· Ultra-wideband (>2:1 BW) antenna experience with numerous antenna topologies.
· Knowledge and/or experience with meta material structures for antenna applications.
· Experience testing antennas in far-field anechoic chambers, compact ranges, and/or near field testing.
· Team management, project management and program management skills.
· Proficient in electromagnetic simulation tools FEKO, GRASP, MW Office, and SystemVue.
· Possesses advanced skill in Microsoft Word, Excel, Project and PowerPoint.
· Active Secret Clearance and ability to obtain special clearances.
· Possesses good communications skills and comfortable presenting to customers
Cobham's values of Trust, Talent and Technology have driven us from our launch in 1934 by Sir Alan Cobham, an aviation innovator, to becoming a global leader in state-of-the-art aerospace and defense systems. And it’s the insights of our innovators today that will secure our collective future. Innovators like you.
Cobham is one of the world's leading companies engaged in the development, delivery and support of leading-edge aerospace and defense systems in the air, on land and at sea. Our clients and partners trust Cobham to deliver the mission-critical technology they need, and we trust our employees to draw on their ingenuity and passion to deliver those solutions. This leads to an empowering culture for our people. Our Leadership team is open, sharing plans for the next five years, driving retention by offering demanding, exciting work, and providing full guidance and mentoring.
Cobham is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and embraces diversity in our employee population. It is the policy of Cobham to provide equal opportunity to all qualified applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, or genetic information. Cobham will refrain from discharging, or otherwise discriminating against, employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants.