Cobham is seeking a Machinist II to set up and run a ProtoTRAK machining center and edit Numerical Control (NC) programs for the fabrication or repair of various metal parts to exact tolerances and dimensions according to sketches, diagrams and drawings. To be able to determine the number of cuts required and the methods of setup. To use a variety of machinist’s hand tools and precision measuring instruments. To make standard shop computations relatng to dimensions of work, tooling, feeds, speeds etc. To measure, mark, and scribe dimensions and reference points to lay out stock for machining. May monitor and verify quality in accordance with statistical process or other control procedures. To check and inspect parts during machining operations against specified tolerances. The work will be semi-routine in nature.
· To set up and run a ProtoTRAK three axis vertical machining center to produce, repair, modify and rework parts and fixtures, uploading and downloading programs from Direct Numerical Control (DNC) as applicable.
· To edit programs as necessary in order to optimize program efficiency and part quality. To write simple programs for the ProtoTRAK when needed.
· To inspect machined parts for conformity and quality using precision measuring instruments. i.e. a video comparator, Coordinated Measuring Machines (CMM), surface plate and height gauge etc.
· To verify paperwork accuracy. This would include ensuring that the parts produced meet the requirements of the associated drawings, travelers, routers and processes.
· Design and fabricate special tooling, and fixtures for use in subsequent machining operations as required.
· Clean parts using degreaser, Hydro-hone as required and alcohol.
· Perform light de-burring in conformance with the internal microwave hardware de-burring process requirements.
· Maintain workstation, equipment, tools, and machinery.
· Identify machine malfunctions and perform diagnostics and routine repair.
· Participate in safety training and actively comply with safety policies and practices.
· Collaborate in team meetings and activities, including SET team support as appropriate
· Performs other related duties as assigned.
· The ability to run a ProtoTRAK machining center is required. Experience with HAAS and FADAL machining centers and the ability to run multiple machining centers simultaneously is a plus.
· Uses knowledge of the physical properties of metals and the respective alloys to ensure that the proper feeds, speeds, and metal removal process techniques are in place to produce high quality metal fabricated microwave products.
· Uses ASME Y 14.100 and ASME Y 14.5 (Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing) knowledge to interpet, fabricate and inspect products.
· Can perform the work of machining and repairing microwave parts using various standard machine shop tools and equipment.
· This includes small tool grinders, lathes and milling machines along with hand tools and precision measuring equipment.
· Five (5) years minimum experience as a CNC machinist using a ProtoTRAK CNC three axis milling machine.
· Detailed-oriented person with good manual and hand-eye coordination.
· A high school diploma or equivalent is required.
· May be required to obtain and maintain security clearance, which requires USA Citizenship.
· An Associate’s Degree is preferred.
· Communication skills: The ability to ask questions and rephrase statements to clarify meaning. The ability to write simple correspondence in English. The ability to read, interpret and comprehend complex technical instructions, both written and verbal, in English. This could include technical fabrication drawings, travelers, routers, Process Specifications, Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) and similar material.
· Computer skills: working knowledge of MS Office; basic understanding of G code programming and other CNC programs;
· Equipment skills: The knowledge of proper and the safe use of equipment, tooling and chemicals typically found in a machine shop. The ability to follow company safety guidelines and direction.
· Math skills: Intermediate math skills to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference, and fundamental of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry; ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, rations, and proportions to practical machine shop situations; ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all unit of measure; ability to measure using whole numbers, common fractions and decimals; ability to understand and perform decimal, fraction and metric calculations and conversion;
· Time Management and organizational skills: flexibility and adaptability to changing priorities and assignments; ability to maintain confidentiality; ability to cope with rapidly changing priorities; ability to prioritize workload on a daily basis;
· Excellence Behaviors: To remain engaged, proactive and a positive attitude even in tough circumstances; own assignments and be fully accountable for their success. A willingness to learn new skills. The willingness to work overtime when needed.
Cobham's values of Trust, Talent and Technology have driven us from our launch in 1934 by Sir Alan Cobham, an aviation innovator, to becoming a global leader in state-of-the-art aerospace and defense systems. And it’s the insights of our innovators today that will secure our collective future. Innovators like you.
Cobham is one of the world's leading companies engaged in the development, delivery and support of leading-edge aerospace and defense systems in the air, on land and at sea. Our clients and partners trust Cobham to deliver the mission-critical technology they need, and we trust our employees to draw on their ingenuity and passion to deliver those solutions. This leads to an empowering culture for our people. Our Leadership team is open, sharing plans for the next five years, driving retention by offering demanding, exciting work, and providing full guidance and mentoring.
Cobham is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and embraces diversity in our employee population. It is the policy of Cobham to provide equal opportunity to all qualified applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, or genetic information. Cobham will refrain from discharging, or otherwise discriminating against, employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants.