Cobham Aviation Services has an exciting opportunity for an Avionics Design Engineer to join our business. The Avionics Design Engineer (Engineer) is responsible for applying discipline domain expertise to the design, development and delivery of new products, processes and technologies.
The Engineer will typically be part of an Integrated Product Team (IPT) and will contribute to the performance of the IPT to ensure that the performance expectations are met or exceeded. This will include, but is not limited to, the detailed avionic design of systems, subsystems, equipment and electronic assemblies used in airborne special mission systems and the assessment, analysis and simulation of their performance. The Engineer will provide the necessary documentation required by the Design Office to support end use certification. The Engineer shall employ the appropriate processes, practices and tools to ensure that responsibilities are completed to meet the required project requirements with the needed quality. This position is based in Christchurch, Bournemouth
As an Avionics Design Engineer your skills and qualifications will ideally include:
· Familiarity with the product lifecycle from system requirements, architecture, design, integration, qualification, verification, through to production and support
· Experience in the integration, qualification and test of one or more of the following: radar, electronic warfare, communications and / or surveillance systems for an airborne environment
· Experience in the design of systems, subsystems, equipment and electronic assemblies used in an airborne environment, including Loom / Cable / Harness design, PCB packaging and Black box design.
· Production of design schemes in the form of schematics and block diagrams, generating detailed drawings to support product development and manufacture.
· Preparing and managing drawings, associated documents and supporting calculations and ensuring that drawings and documentation meet customer requirements and relevant standards
· Document / drawing management software
· Experience with the design of products for aircraft systems and associated regulatory environment including, but not limited to design for TEMPEST/EMC, RoHS/WEEE compliance.
· Awareness / Experience in the following areas:
- Civil Aerospace - associated processes / specifications / standards.
- Military - associated processes / specifications / standards.
- Systems design and designing to requirements.
- Hardware design / PCB design.
As an Avionics Design Engineer your responsibilities will include:
· Safety first. Operate at Special Mission in accordance with the SHE standards. Identify where the SHE Standards are applicable to appointed operations/tasks and apply safe systems of work
· Progress avionic design elements of a project as an activity integrated with all other design inputs from within an integrated project team, in order to develop the compliant design solution.
· Leading small design teams when required
· Application of discipline domain knowledge to the design, development and delivery of new products, processes and technologies on time, within budget and with required quality
· Continued development of discipline competence and expertise
· Application of, and compliance with, engineering processes and practices including engineering framework, LCM and regulatory requirements
· Identification of opportunities for improvement in discipline processes, practices and tools
· Collaboration with other project team members to address project requirements
· Collaboration with discipline peers within the team, BU and company to share and learn best practice
- Support the implementation of design review practice in accordance with LCM project governance
· Identify and document as needed our intellectual property such as trade secrets, patents and controlled information
· Contribute to business winning technical proposals
· Compliance with the Cobham Policies, Processes and Procedures, and Company ethics
· Any other duties that are reasonably requested by management within the capability of the incumbent
About Cobham Aviation Services
Cobham Special Mission, which is part of Cobham Aviation Services, provides customers with integrated services for airborne special mission operations. Its capabilities include aerial surveillance, operational readiness training, aircraft modification and integration, search and rescue, and environment surveillance and response.
Cobham Special Mission uses highly customised aircraft to conduct border protection and surveillance operations in Australia and the UK, as well as providing operational readiness training through electronic warfare training for the UK Ministry of Defence. It’s also a leading supplier of flight inspection services.
About Cobham plc
Cobham is a leading global technology and services innovator, respected for providing solutions to the greatest challenges, from deep space to the depths of the ocean.
Click here to find out more about us and or check out our LinkedIn company page