Cobham is seeking a highly motivated and skilled embedded systems Software Developer that will fulfill the critical role of implementing new software features that our customers demand. Software is used to initialize and stabilize the antenna, identify the satellite to target, control the RF radio mounted to the antenna, and interface with the modem to manage connectivity. The primary language used is C. This position is onsite in our Concord CA facility.
The Concord location of Cobham SATCOM is the home of SeaTel brand antennas. The Concord facility develops and manufacturers stabilized satellite antennas for maritime and tracking antennas for emerging LEO constellations led by companies like Oneweb and SpaceX. These 3 axis satellite antennas range in size from 0.6 m to 4.3 m. The Sea Tel brand of satellite antennas are installed on vessels and at earth stations around the world for internet access.
The software developer will work with a small dedicated group of other software engineers to realize challenging requirements. The team supports drivers as well as stabilization and pointing algorithms, system initialization, software upgrade, logging, error reporting, several levels of control interfaces including: SNMP, CLI, OpenAMIP, and a GUI. The ideal candidate will have a strong background in real time environments along with some web development experience. The Embedded Software Engineer will also work closely with the electrical engineers, mechanical engineers, RF engineers, test engineers, system engineers, and production engineers to deliver a complete system that is ready for the customer.
Software work on SeaTel brand products is engaging as the product line allows for many different customer variations. Time is spent making the code re-usable and flexible for the next challenge. In addition, the developer will have the opportunity to work closely with the production floor and gain valuable insight from actual systems shipping to customers.
- 5 years’ experience developing embedded software.
- 5 years’ experience programming in C or Assembly.
- 3 years’ experience developing software for Real Time applications.
- 1-year experience developing software to POSIX standards.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering or Math) Discipline.
- MS in Math, Physics, Electrical Engineering or Computer Engineering.
- Experience with SMX, VxWorks, pSOS or Embedded Linux.
- Experience with PID Controllers.
- Experience utilizing popular development tools including Bugzilla, IAR, and Subversion.
- Experience with web technology ( HTML, JavaScrip, CSS, AJAX, JSON ) in an embedded environment.
- Knowledge of TCP/IP, multithreading, SPI, I2C, GPIO, Serial, USB and CAN bus.
- Knowledge of device drivers, BSPs, file systems, logging, error reporting.
- Knowledge of electrical design and a strong physics background.
- Working knowledge of VSAT technology and communication beneficial.
- Ability to use Oscilloscope/Logic Analyzer.
- Experience with Windows programming.
Cobham's values of Trust, Talent and Technology have driven us from our launch in 1934 by Sir Alan Cobham, an aviation innovator, to becoming a global leader in state-of-the-art aerospace and defense systems. And it’s the insights of our innovators today that will secure our collective future. Innovators like you.
Cobham is one of the world's leading companies engaged in the development, delivery and support of leading-edge aerospace and defense systems in the air, on land and at sea. Our clients and partners trust Cobham to deliver the mission-critical technology they need, and we trust our employees to draw on their ingenuity and passion to deliver those solutions. This leads to an empowering culture for our people. Our Leadership team is open, sharing plans for the next five years, driving retention by offering demanding, exciting work, and providing full guidance and mentoring.
Cobham is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and embraces diversity in our employee population. It is the policy of Cobham to provide equal opportunity to all qualified applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, or genetic information. Cobham will refrain from discharging, or otherwise discriminating against, employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants.
See all of our latest opportunities at www.cobham.com/careers or follow us on our LinkedIn page at www.linkedin.com/company/cobham
To be considered you must apply by going to www.cobham.com/careers